Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

96 850 T Volvo revs/idle high will drive w/o foot on gas, now no start

Old 04-09-2008, 08:36 AM
Luxury = Love

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty
Unhappy 96 850 T Volvo revs/idle high will drive w/o foot on gas, now no start

Sorry for the long title but i wanted to make it clear what was wrong for everyone. This started yesterday 1996 850 turbo 155000

11am - failed attempt to start car, turned over but would not catch. Dipstick was bone dry - added oil, maybe a lil too much.

12pm - car running fine noticed smoke from tail, figured it was excess oil burning off.

2pm - car starts and runs fine.

5pm - same as above

9pm - same as above

11pm - car starts but revs itself up to about 4000 then drops down to normal. It returns to 4000 until i put it into gear. The car then feels like its got a mind of its own. It's pulling me along at about 55mph.

I cut it off at a light to see if it will stop. Car does not restart for about 2 mins. After restart it goes back to KITT Mode and takes off. If i toss it into neutral it jumps back up to 4000. since its late i make it home with no lights impeding my progress.

10am- I search a few volvo sites for a similar problem and deduce its probably the pedal position sensor. I restart car and it jumps up high again. This time to 2000 and slowly starts to make its way up.

10:30am - I turn it off and remove and scrub the sensor.
I notice the cylinder right above the TB is vibrating. is that normal?

10:45 - I attempt to restart the car several times. It will turn over but not catch. I cant pull codes yet being that i have no way to autozone to get a scanner. I will try tonight.

Please help
Old 04-09-2008, 08:59 AM
Registered Member

crizx has disabled reputation
Default Re: 96 850 T Volvo revs/idle high will drive w/o foot on gas, now no start

i work for volvo in alexandria va... i will run your post past a couple of my techs and see if i can get an answer for you or atleast a direction in which to start...
Old 04-09-2008, 09:18 AM
Registered Member

Default Re: 96 850 T Volvo revs/idle high will drive w/o foot on gas, now no start

ok i talked to one tech and he said he never heard of the problem... but he said to start by removing the throttle body and clean it.. then remove the cylinder that was vibrating which is your idle control valve and clean that... he also said if you removed the position sensor and scrubbed it you might have damaged that as they are sensitive as hell and not ment to be cleaned...
start there.. should cost you a total of 5 bucks for a throttle gasket.. cheap start and let me know.... i have some of the best volvo techs in va here so we should be able to get your car fixed....
Old 04-09-2008, 07:33 PM
Luxury = Love

Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty

Thanks so much for checking on this for me. I looked into everything and found that the car redtured to normal after i unplugged teh TPS.

It's now throwing a code but at least I can drive the car. Looking into to gettgin a new one.

Thanks again
Old 04-10-2008, 05:19 AM
Registered Member

no problem man... thats what this board is for.... if it wasnt for alot of the guys on here my car wouldnt be running
Old 04-10-2008, 06:43 PM
Luxury = Love

anyone know if I can use a TPS off a n/a 850?