Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

94 honda accord fuel pump issue

Old 02-24-2010, 02:39 PM
WaYtOoLoW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
laynlowmitsu has disabled reputation
Default 94 honda accord fuel pump issue

i just bought a 94 honda accord lx automatic from a friend who works at a dealership. It was traded in because the guy had trouble getting it to start, somedays it would take him 45 minutes to a hour to get it to start.

anyway, the first couple days i had the car it would start up and run fine, no problems. all of a sudden it wouldn't start, and i noticed the fuel pump isn't turning on. so i replaced it and it still isn't doing anything....i've replaced the main relay as well....still nothing....even put another ecu in...i've used a test light and ohm meter and tested all the wires the fuse and the relay...it all checks out. and the fuel pump runs if you jump it from a alternate power source. what seems to be the issue here? what else will make the fuel pump not kick on when the key is turned on or you try to start it? i've tried everything...even the step by step section in the hanes manual. i've googled common problems and nothing new. i see the main relay going bad is a common issue...but i replaced it...and it clicks when you turn the key on so i take it that it's good. i'm ready to push this car off a cliff....PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!
Old 02-24-2010, 04:51 PM
ItIsWhatItIs

LoveMyLS has a reputation beyond reputeLoveMyLS has a reputation beyond reputeLoveMyLS has a reputation beyond reputeLoveMyLS has a reputation beyond reputeLoveMyLS has a reputation beyond reputeLoveMyLS has a reputation beyond reputeLoveMyLS has a reputation beyond reputeLoveMyLS has a reputation beyond reputeLoveMyLS has a reputation beyond reputeLoveMyLS has a reputation beyond reputeLoveMyLS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 94 honda accord fuel pump issue

could have a bad connection or bad wiring. check your fuel pressure at the rail
Old 02-24-2010, 05:53 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

So I don't really understand what you're saying. You tested everything, but it's not working. So you have power at the input to the fuel pump relay, and the relay is getting turned on when the relay coil is energized? So if the relay is getting power, and it's turning on, either you have power on the relay output or you don't. If you don't, replace the relay. If you do, the problem is obviously between the relay and the fuel pump if the fuel pump is not turning on. So you're obviously not checking everything out.

So what have you actually checked out?

When you're powering the fuel pump from a different power source, where are you actually connecting the power source?
Old 02-24-2010, 06:12 PM
WaYtOoLoW

Originally Posted by LoveMyLS
could have a bad connection or bad wiring. check your fuel pressure at the rail
i'm thinking it's a wiring issue as well...i can take the fuel line off the rail and it's pumping absolutely no fuel...the fuel pump isn't powering on
Old 02-24-2010, 06:17 PM
WaYtOoLoW

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
So I don't really understand what you're saying. You tested everything, but it's not working. So you have power at the input to the fuel pump relay, and the relay is getting turned on when the relay coil is energized? So if the relay is getting power, and it's turning on, either you have power on the relay output or you don't. If you don't, replace the relay. If you do, the problem is obviously between the relay and the fuel pump if the fuel pump is not turning on. So you're obviously not checking everything out.

So what have you actually checked out?

When you're powering the fuel pump from a different power source, where are you actually connecting the power source?
i have checked everything...and i have replaced the relay but it was used...so it is possible for the relay to click and get power but not send a power output? i checked the connector at the fuel pump itself with the key on and it is receiving power...but it won't turn on for some reason...and i used 2 wires off the positive and negative terminals on the battery and hooked straight to it while it was out the tank and it ran...i agree it makes no fucking sense i don't get whats going on either...sounds crazy
Old 02-24-2010, 06:20 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by laynlowmitsu
i have checked everything...and i have replaced the relay but it was used...so it is possible for the relay to click and get power but not send a power output? i checked the connector at the fuel pump itself with the key on and it is receiving power...but it won't turn on for some reason...and i used 2 wires off the positive and negative terminals on the battery and hooked straight to it while it was out the tank and it ran...i agree it makes no fucking sense i don't get whats going on either...sounds crazy
When you're checking at the connector, are you checking between the two connector pins, or between the connector and some chassis ground?
Old 02-25-2010, 03:57 PM
ItIsWhatItIs

LoveMyLS has a reputation beyond reputeLoveMyLS has a reputation beyond reputeLoveMyLS has a reputation beyond reputeLoveMyLS has a reputation beyond reputeLoveMyLS has a reputation beyond reputeLoveMyLS has a reputation beyond reputeLoveMyLS has a reputation beyond reputeLoveMyLS has a reputation beyond reputeLoveMyLS has a reputation beyond reputeLoveMyLS has a reputation beyond reputeLoveMyLS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
When you're checking at the connector, are you checking between the two connector pins, or between the connector and some chassis ground?
also use a meter instead of a test light and get accurate voltage readings as well