Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

93 Acura Integra GSR stalls out and wont start back up....NEED HELP!!

Old 11-10-2014, 06:44 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stryker16272 has disabled reputation
Default 93 Acura Integra GSR stalls out and wont start back up....NEED HELP!!

Hey guys, I have a 93 Integra GSR that is down here at school with me (750 miles from home) and it has had no problems since I brought it down here. One night I go out to start it and it immediatley stalls out and dies in the parking space I'm in and wont start back up...it will crank but not turn over (all lights are working and not dim so I've kinda ruled out battery, alternator and of course starter because it has no problem cranking) I had my buddy try to jump me and it didnt make any difference the first few times i tried to crank it but after several times of trying, my car finally cranks up..It idles fine and i let it get up to operating temperature and everything seems to be alright now. The next morning I get in it to drive to work, it starts up fine again and I get about 200 yards down the road and the sucker just loses power and stalls on me and wont start back up...Again my buddy came and tried to jump me since it worked before but this time it took even longer to get my car fired back up but it finally did on like the 10th time and I quickly drove it back to my apartment with no issue...Has been sitting for 2 days now and I try to start it twice a day to see if it will still crank(and it does) im just scared to test drive it around because I know it will probably die on me again...I usually can diagnose most problems but am totally stumped here and have little to no time because Im busy at school but NEED my car. Can anybody help me? I can surely compensate anyone who can lead me to my problem...Thanks in advance guys...
Old 11-10-2014, 09:00 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: 93 Acura Integra GSR stalls out and wont start back up....NEED HELP!!

Ah, the joys of taking a 22-year old car to school with you.

Think carefully about the ambient temperature when you're having problems. Has this just started since it's been significantly colder outside, you mentioned the mornings were an issue.
Old 11-10-2014, 12:30 PM
Forcibly Repped

Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu
Default Re: 93 Acura Integra GSR stalls out and wont start back up....NEED HELP!!

missing a couple teeth on the flywheel maybe, that could give you intermitant starting issues

does it sound like the starter is engaging but the motor isn't turning over?
Old 11-10-2014, 03:36 PM
Registered member

Mirrorimg is a name known to allMirrorimg is a name known to allMirrorimg is a name known to allMirrorimg is a name known to allMirrorimg is a name known to allMirrorimg is a name known to all

When it did start, did it run any differently than it normally does? If it ran fine, it doesnt sound like a timing belt issue. How many miles are on the belt?

I had a lot of issues with my fuel pump before I finally replaced it. My car never stalled out while it was running, but it would sometimes not fire up after being parked. Unhooking and draining the pump surprisingly got me going quite a few times before it finally quit.

Originally Posted by Niburu
missing a couple teeth on the flywheel maybe, that could give you intermitant starting issues

does it sound like the starter is engaging but the motor isn't turning over?
Doesn't sound like he has a problem cranking, it just doesn't start.
Old 11-11-2014, 06:36 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Mirrorimg
When it did start, did it run any differently than it normally does? If it ran fine, it doesnt sound like a timing belt issue. How many miles are on the belt?

I had a lot of issues with my fuel pump before I finally replaced it. My car never stalled out while it was running, but it would sometimes not fire up after being parked. Unhooking and draining the pump surprisingly got me going quite a few times before it finally quit.

Doesn't sound like he has a problem cranking, it just doesn't start.
It hasn't seemed like temperature has anything to do with the problem. It still stars and runs perfectly while idling, I tried again this morning but of course I don't wanna try to drive it because I know it's justf going to die. The weird thing I've had no stalling problems until the other night. Could a battery cause an issue like that if it has a bad cell? Would the battery still have enough juice to crank it up and not have any cabin lights get dim?
Old 11-11-2014, 07:21 AM
Registered Member

DumpedDA has disabled reputation

it could be your battery. check your connections and grounds. clean them if you can.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:47 AM
Don't quit!

Somalia Somalia Somalia Somalia Somalia Somalia Somalia Somalia Somalia Somalia Somalia
Thumbs up Re: 93 Acura Integra GSR stalls out and wont start back up....NEED HELP!!

Look save yourself some time and just put a volt meter to the battery, even if its enough for the lights doesn't always mean enough CCA or volts to start the car. However, from your brief description sounds like you have enough to start and run the car.
If it fires up then your alternator should recharge the battery before it dies out.
They way your describing it cutting out, sounds like a fuel issue to me.

So test your battery,yu should have done that first and see if thats an issue or eliminate that possibility.
Another easy test is, check your fuel pressure and see where its at.
You should have 48-56 psi @ the rail w/o vaccum and 39-46 w/ a vaccum on the sytem.
The fuel pump should have 40psi
Injector resistance is 10-13 ohms if your going to test that.

Last edited by Somalia; 11-11-2014 at 07:57 AM.
Old 11-14-2014, 12:39 AM
Full Access Member

H22Boost has disabled reputation

I had similar problem a year or two ago. ended up being a ground had bad connection.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:54 AM
Registered Member

the ground near your starter? I replaced the air filter, fuel filter and all spark plugs yesterday and I drove it to work this morning without any problems...hopefully one of those was my problem. The spark plugs were black as hell and both filters were a little clogged. The fuel filter had dirty fuel coming out of it and the air filter hadnt been changed in about 5 years...oops
Old 11-17-2014, 04:18 PM
Don't quit!

Somalia Somalia Somalia Somalia Somalia Somalia Somalia Somalia Somalia Somalia Somalia

Originally Posted by Stryker16272
the ground near your starter? I replaced the air filter, fuel filter and all spark plugs yesterday and I drove it to work this morning without any problems...hopefully one of those was my problem. The spark plugs were black as hell and both filters were a little clogged. The fuel filter had dirty fuel coming out of it and the air filter hadnt been changed in about 5 years...oops
Guess you got lucky throwing parts at it. Well thats a good thing tho

Quick Reply: 93 Acura Integra GSR stalls out and wont start back up....NEED HELP!!