Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

93 Accord Coupe SE

Old 01-25-2012, 05:38 AM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
urbnredneck has disabled reputation
Default 93 Accord Coupe SE

Just bought this car about a month ago. Only has 112k on motor. Head gasket and valve seal gasket was replaced. Has new battery, plugs and wires. Car drives like a dream. Ksport fully adjustable coilovers. Nice car all the way around. I have noticed lately though that on startup I have this burning oil smell. Lasts for about 10 minutes. I've looked several times to try and find a leak but I dont see one. I can tell its burning some oil though as the level has dropped. Wondering if anyone has any ideas on what i can check to find this damn leak. Also was looking for ideas on a motor swap. As I am new to the honda tunning world. Most have told me and H22. Is there anything I could do to keep the lower half of the motor that is in the car and change out the upper half?
Old 01-25-2012, 06:50 AM
Registered member

Turbobonics has disabled reputation

Slap an h22 head on it, an replace rearmain seal on block,
Old 01-25-2012, 09:16 AM
Registered Member

ZebraEJ8 ZebraEJ8 ZebraEJ8 ZebraEJ8 ZebraEJ8 ZebraEJ8 ZebraEJ8 ZebraEJ8 ZebraEJ8 ZebraEJ8 ZebraEJ8
Default Re: 93 Accord Coupe SE

Im assuming that you have an f22a1? If Im not mistaken, you would have to have the head milled/ block decked to get the compression where it should be and plug some oil passages on the head. You also have to use a different water pump and some other things that I don't remember. Basically, unless you have an h22 head lying around, since you have to replace the rear main anyway you might as well pull the motor and drop in an h22.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:37 AM
Registered member

Turbobonics has disabled reputation

Zebra is right, full swap is alot more Cost effective,
Old 01-25-2012, 09:52 AM
Registered member

RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask

Originally Posted by ZebraEJ8
Im assuming that you have an f22a1? If Im not mistaken, you would have to have the head milled/ block decked to get the compression where it should be and plug some oil passages on the head. You also have to use a different water pump and some other things that I don't remember. Basically, unless you have an h22 head lying around, since you have to replace the rear main anyway you might as well pull the motor and drop in an h22.
Since when does he have to replace the rear main?

OP - If you like driving the car, continue to rock it out the way it is. Since the valve cover gasket was messed with, I'd either go with that it wasn't properly torqued/sealed and is leaking from there. Next guess would be valve seals.

If you want to see what to do, best to do lots of research to find something in your goals/budget/capabilities.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:40 AM
Registered Member

ZebraEJ8 ZebraEJ8 ZebraEJ8 ZebraEJ8 ZebraEJ8 ZebraEJ8 ZebraEJ8 ZebraEJ8 ZebraEJ8 ZebraEJ8 ZebraEJ8

I meant to say "if" he has to replace the rear main. However if it is leaking any amount of oil, it would be obvious if the valve cover gasket was leaking. Rear main seems logical since OP can't find a leak and says that he smells oil for 10 min after startup. It sounds to me like there is oil dripping onto the exhaust while the car is sitting and burning off the first 10 min that it is running.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:52 AM
Registered member

i have not seen any oil around the valve cover. That was the first thing I checked. But I will see if I can check the rear main and see if there is anything leaking from there.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:59 AM
Registered member

One more thing, anyone know a good mechanic or someone pretty good at looking at honda's. Maybe I need to get it looked over a little better than what it was. My mechanic just opened the hood and looked around the top and said yeah its good.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:02 AM
Registered Member

marco has disabled reputation

if you see oil on the pan and around the pan then the seals are bad. But i will say if you are not going to keep that motor than saave your money and put it towards a swap. h22a1 or h22a is wat you want it is a close-deck block and it drops right in if you have an accord ex nothing needs to be done except change some plugs and ecu. if you have a lx or dx you need to change plugs, ecu and add vtec. good easy cheap swap but motors are getting hard to find.... next would be k series
Old 01-26-2012, 07:56 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by marco
if you see oil on the pan and around the pan then the seals are bad. But i will say if you are not going to keep that motor than saave your money and put it towards a swap. h22a1 or h22a is wat you want it is a close-deck block and it drops right in if you have an accord ex nothing needs to be done except change some plugs and ecu. if you have a lx or dx you need to change plugs, ecu and add vtec. good easy cheap swap but motors are getting hard to find.... next would be k series
I believe you're thinking of the 94-97 ex with the f22b1. Its still pretty easy to drop an H series in a cb7 but you will have to switch harnesses and ecu regardless of what model it is.

Quick Reply: 93 Accord Coupe SE