Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

92 civic 1.5 spark issues.

Old 11-13-2011, 05:31 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hoplite666 has disabled reputation
Default 92 civic 1.5 spark issues.

Hello there,
Recently bought a 92 civic from a gal that had it at a shop that had diagnosed the vehicle claiming it needed a distributor for lack of spark. Bought a distributor, brought it to the shop, put it in the parking lot and got the car running, bought the car, drove it home no issues. Once home popped off the dist. cap and changed it out along with the rotor.... now it wont start. double and triple checked the firing order, changed out the wires/plugs, checked for fuel (it has it..sprays up outa the fuel filter no problem).. checked for spark and it had it.. went through a bunch of other crap and then went back to spark... and its gone!..lol
fuses all seem good.. im getting the three clicks from the main relay (that controls fuel anyway right?)
im thinking the re-manned dist. is already toasted..(atleast the ignition coil inside it) I watched a few vids on youtube and if I am doing this right then the ignition coil is for sure dead. the ignition coil test went as follows:
(all this takes place under the dist. cap) using a power tester i tested for power at the single wire and philips screw head under the coil that send power to it.. and i am getting power at that point when the key is rolled all the way forward with out starting it. now if I am doing this right when the car is started (engine cranked) there should be spark coming out of the little spring at the top end of the ignition coil right? well there is no power at the poing when cranking the car.. so am i right about this? coil is screwed? lol.. any input would be appreciated.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:36 AM
Registered member

wright wright wright wright wright wright wright wright wright wright wright
Default Re: 92 civic 1.5 spark issues.

if you purchased the distributor new take it back. From the last part of your post it looks like you tested the coil the way I have before. Now you also should check to make sure that the ignitor is getting power as well. Either way it looks like there is a issue in the distributor.

Take it back and get another one if you have a warranty.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:15 AM
management

boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom

Originally Posted by hoplite666
Hello there,
Recently bought a 92 civic from a gal that had it at a shop that had diagnosed the vehicle claiming it needed a distributor for lack of spark. Bought a distributor, brought it to the shop, put it in the parking lot and got the car running, bought the car, drove it home no issues. Once home popped off the dist. cap and changed it out along with the rotor.... now it wont start. double and triple checked the firing order, changed out the wires/plugs, checked for fuel (it has it..sprays up outa the fuel filter no problem).. checked for spark and it had it.. went through a bunch of other crap and then went back to spark... and its gone!..lol
fuses all seem good.. im getting the three clicks from the main relay (that controls fuel anyway right?)
im thinking the re-manned dist. is already toasted..(atleast the ignition coil inside it) I watched a few vids on youtube and if I am doing this right then the ignition coil is for sure dead. the ignition coil test went as follows:
(all this takes place under the dist. cap) using a power tester i tested for power at the single wire and philips screw head under the coil that send power to it.. and i am getting power at that point when the key is rolled all the way forward with out starting it. now if I am doing this right when the car is started (engine cranked) there should be spark coming out of the little spring at the top end of the ignition coil right? well there is no power at the poing when cranking the car.. so am i right about this? coil is screwed? lol.. any input would be appreciated.
The bolder part...if I read that right, you started playing with a known working distributor on a whim and are now surprised it doesn't work?
Old 11-14-2011, 07:00 AM
Registered Member

I didnt "play" with anything. I changed a cap and rotor on a car after changing out a dizzy, thats usually standard, especially on an older car. I should have said that the car ran fine..briefly after changing the cap and rotor then randomly lost spark a few hours later. That is when I began the diagnosing that I explained after your highlighted section mr. boredom. Actually the very first thing I did was swap the old cap and rotor in just to be sure.
I really just need to know if my test of the ignition coil was done properly and if so where to go from there..thanks for the input on that wright.
but also .. the main relay.. is that just for fuel or can it cause intermittent spark issues?

Last edited by hoplite666; 11-14-2011 at 07:22 AM.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:38 AM
management

boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom

If you replaced the dizzy, then it had a new cap and rotor button.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:32 AM
Registered Member

Actually ..no it did not. Around here in fairfax, when you buy a distributor..thats all you get.
Old 12-04-2011, 04:54 AM
Registered Member

Well for everyone that replied or took a look at this post, I returned the dizzy I purchased from Advance Auto Parts and bought another, this time from Napa.. and voila! Car runs like a champ. Im assuming I kept having random malfunctions with the crappy one from Advance.
P.s. I tried an additional 2 dizzy's from advance and had fitment/quality issues with all of them before going to Napa
Old 12-04-2011, 02:47 PM
Registered Member

TRQLESS is infamous around these partsTRQLESS is infamous around these partsTRQLESS is infamous around these partsTRQLESS is infamous around these partsTRQLESS is infamous around these partsTRQLESS is infamous around these partsTRQLESS is infamous around these partsTRQLESS is infamous around these partsTRQLESS is infamous around these partsTRQLESS is infamous around these partsTRQLESS is infamous around these parts

That's odd. Any Dizzy i've ever bought has come with a cap and rotor. I really also don't trust parts from advance or autozone. Luckily I get a fleet rate at carquest through my work. Napa is also better quality than the others.