Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

91 accord jumping idle...coolant problem?

Old 01-05-2010, 07:02 PM
Jump In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
integra-t has disabled reputation
Exclamation 91 accord jumping idle...coolant problem?

Problem solved....air in the coolant lines. drain out the air and fill up with coolant...runs perfect no more jumping idle.

So my daily is giving me it's first major issue. First off the car is in great shape and ran perfect before this. I got it from a grandma with 107k org miles. I have put nothing but highway miles on it since. It decided to overheat one day so I quickly pulled over and put some water in it. I had to continue putting coolant in it about twice a week. The car started to slowly use more and more. Recently I discovered a hose leak so I was like cool problem fixed. New years day I was getting ready to go fix the hose so I started it to warm it up as usual and went inside. When I came back out the car was off and would not start back up. I thought that maybe the water ended up freezing up somewhere cuz I ran out of antifreeze a few days beforehand and I used water(Very cold that night). I got it towed to Merchants and they ripped me off on a distributor but the car did start and run fine. Before I left for work I put some water in it for the commute and tried to start it...no luck but it eventually started after about 3 attempts. It drove to work just fine and ran good. On my lunch break it started to idle up and down in the drive through and started to studder when I took off so I said fuck it and parked it. I came back the next moring and tried it again and it started up and idled a little higher than normal for about 30 secs and began to bounce up and down like it did before. Merchants is giving me my money back of course because they suck. I have been doing research and of course it could be the typical iac problem or whatever sensor but I also found that many people have the same problem due to coolant problems which is the only issue it has ever had. Timing maybe? Help me out I love this car and need it for work...thanks.

Also it does not throw any codes and engine light is not on.

Last edited by integra-t; 01-07-2010 at 01:01 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:15 AM
Registered member

wright wright wright wright wright wright wright wright wright wright wright
Default Re: 91 accord jumping idle...coolant problem?

One thing to check is to make sure that you do not have any air in the coolent system. If you look on the engine where the radiator hoses connect you should have a 12mm nut with a nipple on the top, crack it open to vent out the air (if any).

Also I would think about draining the complete system to put antifreeze in. You are asking for a larger issue by putting water in it.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:44 AM
Jump In

Originally Posted by wright
One thing to check is to make sure that you do not have any air in the coolent system. If you look on the engine where the radiator hoses connect you should have a 12mm nut with a nipple on the top, crack it open to vent out the air (if any).

Also I would think about draining the complete system to put antifreeze in. You are asking for a larger issue by putting water in it.

Good call...I am goin to drain the whole system and fix the hose and see what happens. I used a mixture of antifreeze and water...sometimes more water. I did notice that when pouring water in bubbles came out. That could be because here and there I put coolant in it with the car not running which I hear isn't good.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:19 PM
Jump In

any other ideas?
Old 01-06-2010, 05:23 PM
OM NOM NOM E30

JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87

drain...fix the leaking hose. Bleed the system, and then make sure your overflow is at least at the minimum line.

If problem persist take off the iacv and clean it out. Should be only a few bolts.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:00 PM
Jump In

So this couldn't be timing or anything else? Maybe they put the distributor on and didn't time it right? The car did run ok up until my lunch break tho. If coolant can cause this that would be my first guess bt I'm just trynna get some other ideas just in case.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:26 AM
Registered member

wright wright wright wright wright wright wright wright wright wright wright

The starting issue is most likely not the Water in the coolent (or air). I do however think that It might be causing the up and down idle. On the other hand the water in the system is not a good thing.

Also how long did you run the car with it starting to over heat? I do not think that the timing belt jumped time, but it might have if it has not been changed yet. With the new distributor it might be off as far as the timing, which could cause the car to have trouble starting.

I would start with the coolent system, get that fixed and then have the timing checked.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:55 PM
Jump In

got the air out and filled up the coolant...runs perfect. Guess it did not start because of the air.