Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

'90 Honda Civic CRX rack & pinion install

Old 12-31-2006, 10:26 AM
Srsly.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these parts
Default '90 Honda Civic CRX rack & pinion install

How difficult is it? Any special tools required? Any special techniques? I'm aware I'll need an alignment afterwards...

thanks
Old 12-31-2006, 11:59 AM
Team Ultraspeed

Yell88CRXsi has disabled reputation
Default Re: '90 Honda Civic CRX rack & pinion install

No, it is not difficult...and no, no special tools are required. It is in fact...quite simple.

First, remove the steering knuckle cover located under the pedal assembly and remove the 10mm or 12mm bolt that connects the knuckle to the rack & pinion shaft.

Second, remove both outer tie rods from the rack.

Third, fully extend rack to one side. (Sorry I don't remember to which side)

Fourth, remove the rack mount bolts and pull the rack out.

Fifth, go have a beer before installing new rack in reverse order.

Sixth, have a nice day
Old 12-31-2006, 12:43 PM
Srsly.

Brock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by Yell88CRXsi
No, it is not difficult...and no, no special tools are required. It is in fact...quite simple.

First, remove the steering knuckle cover located under the pedal assembly and remove the 10mm or 12mm bolt that connects the knuckle to the rack & pinion shaft.

Second, remove both outer tie rods from the rack.

Third, fully extend rack to one side. (Sorry I don't remember to which side)

Fourth, remove the rack mount bolts and pull the rack out.

Fifth, go have a beer before installing new rack in reverse order.

Sixth, have a nice day
Thank you!

The particular rack & pinion I bought comes with new inner and outer tie rod ends.

How do I remove the pinion gear from the steering shaft?
Old 12-31-2006, 12:51 PM
Registered Member

EFB16A is on a distinguished road

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1117870
Old 12-31-2006, 12:54 PM
Srsly.

good read... thank you
Old 12-31-2006, 01:06 PM
Registered Member

EFB16A is on a distinguished road

no problem, had the link handy because before too long im rebuilding mine with a quaife rack
Old 12-31-2006, 01:38 PM
Team Ultraspeed

Yell88CRXsi has disabled reputation

Yes they do have inners tie rods but I did not mention them because it is not necessary to remove them to remove the rack.

I bought a brand rack from from Honda because aftermarket ones are nothing more than rebuilts that still have the worn shafts which were not replaced and causes the loose steering in which you are changing the rack for in the first place. Ask me how I know!!!

I wouldn't waste my money on a quaife kit. If you had ever drove a new CRX then you would see why the stock steering was bas ass from the factory. Beside, why would you put a close ratio rack in a daily driver? I could understand if it was a race car but for the street? Have you drove one?

Just my $.02

Last edited by Yell88CRXsi; 12-31-2006 at 01:41 PM.
Old 12-31-2006, 02:10 PM
Srsly.

Thanks for the advice.

The rack I bought is from a salvage yard up in my hometown in Michigan (I know the owner).

The rack is off of a '89 Civic with 70,000 miles on it and it comes as a complete unit (rack, pinion, inner and outer tie rod ends).
Old 01-09-2007, 05:48 PM
Srsly.

Put the rack in tonight. The improvement couldn't be better. The car actually feels like a car, and not a worn out go-cart.

Thanks for the help fella's.