Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

88 foxbody wont start. please help me!`

Old 10-19-2010, 04:29 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
robert111 has disabled reputation
Default 88 foxbody wont start. please help me!`

i have a manuel 88 gt foxbody mustang. it ran fine yesterday. i got it in it today and all i get is the fuel pump starting and the starter solenoid i believe it has multiple clicks.
it doesnt turn over at all, just clicks. i have over 12 volts on the batterty, tried jumping it anyways and still nothing. i just put long tube headrs on it. is it possible to burn the starter up since the headers are so close. like thousands of an inch close.. i could really use yalls help, i get my liscense back monday after a year, and this is a total bummer. i would appreciate any advice you got.thanks for looking.
Robert
Old 10-19-2010, 04:38 PM
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn
Default Re: 88 foxbody wont start. please help me!`

Originally Posted by robert111
i have a manuel 88 gt foxbody mustang. it ran fine yesterday. i got it in it today and all i get is the fuel pump starting and the starter solenoid i believe it has multiple clicks.
it doesnt turn over at all, just clicks. i have over 12 volts on the batterty, tried jumping it anyways and still nothing. i just put long tube headrs on it. is it possible to burn the starter up since the headers are so close. like thousands of an inch close.. i could really use yalls help, i get my liscense back monday after a year, and this is a total bummer. i would appreciate any advice you got.thanks for looking.
Robert
doesnt that car have the seperate starter solenoid on the firewall? jump it and see if it cranks
Old 10-19-2010, 05:08 PM
Registered Member

ive tried jumping it multiple times.. shits got me beat.lol
Old 10-19-2010, 05:12 PM
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn

maybe your starter died..ive heard of long tube headers making them hot..maybe take some header wrap on that side...or get a piece of aluminum and try to make a heat sheild..
Old 10-19-2010, 05:13 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

So you jump across the solenoid terminals and nothing happens? Test the voltage at the solenoid terminals, and if you have battery voltage test what the voltage is while you're trying to start it. If you're not hearing the starter relay engage, the problem is likely the starter relay or whatever should be engaging the relay. Basically, you should verify that all the conditions at the solenoid are correct before you blame the starter motor. It could be a bad starter motor, but there's no use blaming anything until you know what is working and what isn't.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:32 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

My response to a PM from the thread starter:

If you have a firewall mounted starter solenoid, it has an input from the battery and an output to the starter motor. So if you jump across the solenoid terminals, it does the same thing as when the solenoid is switching closed (supplying power to the starter motor). If the solenoid was bad and was not switching closed, the starter motor would work when you jumper across the starter solenoid (because you're mimicking the solenoid closing).

The solenoid is just a really big relay, so it will make a click like a big relay. If the starter motor is bad, or something like that, you'll hear the starter solenoid click but the engine won't start obviously (because the starter motor is bad). If you're not hearing the starter solenoid click, chances are high that whatever controls the starter solenoid (usually a smaller relay or the ignition switch) is not doing its job, so that would mean a broken wire, blown fuse, bad relay, etc.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:39 PM
Registered Member

thanks for your advice, i will deffnatly check that out tomorrow. that makes a lot of sense and easy to undestand. thanks for some good troubleshooting
Old 10-19-2010, 05:44 PM

stock91lx is infamous around these partsstock91lx is infamous around these partsstock91lx is infamous around these partsstock91lx is infamous around these partsstock91lx is infamous around these partsstock91lx is infamous around these partsstock91lx is infamous around these partsstock91lx is infamous around these partsstock91lx is infamous around these partsstock91lx is infamous around these partsstock91lx is infamous around these parts

the bendix is shot in the starter. i have longtubes on my 408w and had to put a starter heat shield on because of heat
Old 10-19-2010, 05:56 PM
Racetracks

Originally Posted by stock91lx
the bendix is shot in the starter.
Bendix is a brand name, what part are you actually talking about...?
Old 10-19-2010, 05:59 PM
baller/dickbutt#69

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Bendix is a brand name, what part are you actually talking about...?
i hope your joking...

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&e...ed=0CD8QsAQwBA

Quick Reply: 88 foxbody wont start. please help me!`