Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

87 Dodge Dakota Problems

Old 01-27-2007, 01:05 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honda66 is a name known to allHonda66 is a name known to allHonda66 is a name known to allHonda66 is a name known to allHonda66 is a name known to allHonda66 is a name known to all
Default 87 Dodge Dakota Problems

The problem is, that I'm not getting spark from the distributor. I replaced the ignition coil, wires, plugs, cap (twice), rotor (twice), hall effect assem., and the Spark Control Computer. I have spark coming out of the coil wire and into the distributor, but the coil only sparks once ever 3 or 4 turns of the motor however I don't have spark coming out of the distributor and into the wires which is what I don't understand. I read and did all the tests the service manual said and I couldn't find anything else wrong besides the very last step. It says that "If battery voltage is not present at cavity #1 of the distributor wiring harness connector, (which it is not, meaning the Hall Effect pick-up is good) repair the open in the circuit connected to cavity # 1." So what is this saying? Is there a cut in the wiring harness somewhere between the distributor wiring harness connector and the SCC? I really can't figure this out, and it's been a HUGE headache, so if anyone could help it would be great!
Old 01-28-2007, 12:03 PM
Fighterer

Abysalone will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 87 Dodge Dakota Problems

look for fusible links along that wire. I have an 88' 4x4 but unfortunately its not here or I would look. The only way to tell if its blown is with a voltmeter. Looks like a little black barrel somewhere along the wire.
Old 01-29-2007, 05:56 AM
Lost Cat Magnet

drifterJERRY is an unknown quantity at this point

ignition module, i believe it plugs into the side of the dizzy (looks like a gold box for mopar, iirc). that would give problems as you describe.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:21 PM
Registered Member

Honda66 is a name known to allHonda66 is a name known to allHonda66 is a name known to allHonda66 is a name known to allHonda66 is a name known to allHonda66 is a name known to all

I think the SCC (the spark control computer) is what you're talking about, and I replaced it. But I will check to see if there is an ignition control module by the dizzy.