Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

87 chevy caprice question...

Old 08-31-2008, 07:47 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pinoyboythug has disabled reputation
Default 87 chevy caprice question...

I have a 87 chevy caprice with a rebuilt 350cc engine, a flat cam, bored over I believe 40, after market pistons and rods, aftermarket heads, edel brok manifold, new water pump, 3 core 350 V8 radiator, with a 350 tran with shift kit. The car keeps on overheating after about 15 mins of driving. I also know that the car is not hooking that way that it should. IT seems that the motor is racing but the car is not getting any torque or power. Can anyone help on this??
Old 08-31-2008, 10:27 AM
Registered Member

aacjohnc has disabled reputation
Default Re: 87 chevy caprice question...

.i agree with the below respose check trans fluid . mis read the post to begin with thought u meant it was bogging out..

Last edited by aacjohnc; 08-31-2008 at 11:52 AM.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:37 AM
Registered member

RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask

Should be fine with listed mods. If its racing, it sounds like the trans is toast. Whats the trans fluid look like?
Old 08-31-2008, 08:15 PM
fabricating is fun

cleckner04 is an unknown quantity at this point

that is a small engine in a car. if its over heating then you might want to check that out. there is a t-stat on the front of your intake manifold. its supposed to open at 190 if stock. check that in boiling water. if that is fine. then check your water pump. make sure you water pump is turning the right way. do you have v belts or serp. ? i dont remember if those came carb or fuel injected that year. i think 87 was the first year for the tbi. but not too sure. i dont get what the last question is. but it sounds like the tranny slips like? because the car moves right because you said it over heats when driving. check your tranny fliud after you start it. dont have much on that one.