Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

86 F-150 w/ I6 carb. wont start after warmed up.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:16 PM
Zombies found Waldo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie
Default 86 F-150 w/ I6 carb. wont start after warmed up.

So I am looking into buying this truck from a buddy, it's in great shape interior is pretty clean. And when it's running, it runs good. But after driving it around and it warms up, it wont start back up. If you wait a few hours/overnight it will start back up almost instantly.

I went and looked at it today and it started fine. I let it idle for about 5 minutes then turned it off. Turned the key and it started but backfired. Let it idle for a few minutes then turned it off again, idle died then it shook a little, revved itself to like 2500 rpms then finally shut down. Tried to start it again and nothing.

Recently the carb was rebuilt and the distributor replaced. Of course the carb being rebuilt could be the problem?

Any ideas here?
Old 01-26-2012, 07:40 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: 86 F-150 w/ I6 carb. wont start after warmed up.

Even if the carb was rebuilt properly it might not have been setup and tuned properly. Might be a simple fix for someone who knows about carb tuning. Might be a bad rebuilt too though.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:08 PM
Is in ur head, why?

crxmadness crxmadness crxmadness crxmadness crxmadness crxmadness crxmadness crxmadness crxmadness crxmadness crxmadness

Sounds like the starter needs to be rebuilt. The usual suspect is the starter in "wont start after warm up" situations.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:01 AM
Zombies found Waldo

buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie

I dont think it's the starter. It will crank forever. Just won't fire. I'm a little nervous about having to tune a carb as I have never done it before. But, I have read that it could be the temp sensor. Or the ignition control module, but that was already replaced. I'll probably try the temp sensor since it's like $10.

Looks like it's time to look up tuning a carb.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:51 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by crxmadness
Sounds like the starter needs to be rebuilt. The usual suspect is the starter in "wont start after warm up" situations.
It runs poorly but you think the starter is the problem? Am I missing something here...?
Old 01-27-2012, 09:54 AM
Registered Member

Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy.

Originally Posted by buugiewuugie
I dont think it's the starter. It will crank forever. Just won't fire. I'm a little nervous about having to tune a carb as I have never done it before. But, I have read that it could be the temp sensor. Or the ignition control module, but that was already replaced. I'll probably try the temp sensor since it's like $10.

Looks like it's time to look up tuning a carb.

I don't think a carb'd f150 has a ignition control module. It's probably the coil or distributor.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:40 AM
Registered member

RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask

Has it been sitting for a while? I fought the same shit on a car. Turned out since it had been sitting so long, the rubber on the pickup line in the gas tank turned to mush. It would collapse after running for a bit. Let it sit, then it would be able to run again.

You can look down the throttle of the carb and tell if its dumping fuel. Just a thought.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:31 PM
Is in ur head, why?

crxmadness crxmadness crxmadness crxmadness crxmadness crxmadness crxmadness crxmadness crxmadness crxmadness crxmadness

Originally Posted by buugiewuugie
So I am looking into buying this truck from a buddy, it's in great shape interior is pretty clean. And when it's running, it runs good. But after driving it around and it warms up, it wont start back up. If you wait a few hours/overnight it will start back up almost instantly.
Originally Posted by Fabrik8
It runs poorly but you think the starter is the problem? Am I missing something here...?
Reading comprehension owns you, reread my post again.

Last edited by crxmadness; 01-27-2012 at 02:12 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:04 PM
Registered member

JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74

Check the choke too.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:05 PM
Registered member

RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask

Reading comprehension owns you, reread my post again.
WTF would a starter have to do with the way the engine is running? OP said it will crank, just not start.

Technical Know-how/Fabrik8<-------------------------------------------------->you

Quick Reply: 86 F-150 w/ I6 carb. wont start after warmed up.