Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

74 Nova twin turbo.

Old 03-07-2009, 03:29 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ebp_em1
Default 74 Nova twin turbo.

So i dont know too too much about all this since i have always had a honda. Anyways my dad has a 74 nova with a built 350 in it. Heres a list of whats done to it.

Now i was joking with him about ordering a complete ebay kit for the 950. Alot of people have had a lot of luck with them minus certiain parts of them. Hes just going to order dual tial wastegates and then upgrade the carb. Now heres some questions.

Would this motor be okay on like 10 lbs? I told him he needs to speak to the builder and find out the exact cr ratio of the pistons and see how hgih they are.

On that low of boost would he need to upgrade the carb and the fuel pump to the high flow ones.

now the only other thing im confused about is the piping hes going to order a extreme veolicty carb hat, now how would the fmic piping be ran?

FRESH 350 ENGINE BORED 30 OVER 4 BOLT MAIN
30 OVER SPEED PRO 275 SOLID DOMES WITH COATED SKIRTS
GM X RODS
5140 STEEL CRANK
OIL PAN HAS CRANK SCRAPER AND TRAP DOORS
MELLING HV OIL PUMP WITH BOLT ON OIL PUM SCREEN
ZOOM DOUBLE ROLLER TIMING CHAIN
LUNATI ROLLER CAM 580 600 LIFT CRANE ROLLER LIFTERS
PROFORM 150 PUSH RODS
ROLLER ROCKERS 1.5 FULL ROLLER
HEADS ARE 202 DOUBLE HUMP WITH DOUBLE VALVE SPRINGS WITH UP TO 625 LIFT/ ALSO HAS 2.02 VALVES 1.60
WEIAND G-TEAM INTAKE
TRANS 350 TURBO WITH B&M SHIFT KIT
HURST QUARTER STICK SHIFTER
TORKMASTER TORQUE CONVERTER 2800-3200
RICHMOND 410 GEAR INN THE REAREND
FLOW TECH HEADERS 3' EXHAUST
3' FLOW TECH MUFFLERS
Old 03-07-2009, 09:28 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: 74 Nova twin turbo.

Holy shit, a 3 foot exhaust?

So an entire twin turbo kit for $950. You can't even buy a pair of decent turbos for that much, let alone a single nut, bolt, or fastener to go with it. Unless this kit is used and came off of a different car. Still though, even without anything else in the kit, that's a max of $475 each for the turbos, so I don't think you're getting much in the way of quality.

Anyway, he may want to look into getting different cams that have better duration and overlap specs for a turbo setup. Any of the cam manufacturers should be able to advise on that, or search the intarwebz and try to verify whatever you find out.

You guys will have to figure out how much flow that the fuel pump can support and how much headroom you have to work with. It really depends on power output rather than boost, so if you have a power output number right now, and then can make a rough estimation of where you'll be at 10PSI, then you can make some fuel flow calculations.
Old 03-07-2009, 11:41 AM
Banned

ebp_em1

Good point, ill just tell him to run up to pips and throw it on the dyno.
Old 03-07-2009, 11:43 AM
Banned

ebp_em1

and as far as the rest of it, the kit is complete as fuck, slim fan, wgs, bov's, turbos, manis, turbo timer, catch can, fmic, piping, lines gaskets, couplers. Everything. Granit its ebay not full-race. But for what he wants it will suffice plenty of people around here have ebay turbo kits, certain people i can mention right now that no one even knows and its a 10 second honda. So well try. But yeah ill post a baseline and then go from there.
Old 03-07-2009, 12:19 PM
Registered Member

sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue

Originally Posted by ebp_em1
and as far as the rest of it, the kit is complete as fuck, slim fan, wgs, bov's, turbos, manis, turbo timer, catch can, fmic, piping, lines gaskets, couplers. Everything. Granit its ebay not full-race. But for what he wants it will suffice plenty of people around here have ebay turbo kits, certain people i can mention right now that no one even knows and its a 10 second honda. So well try. But yeah ill post a baseline and then go from there.
80% of the Hondas I tune have ebay junk on them. I can tell you right now from experience it is shit. The quality is just terrible. The only thing ebay I would consider running on my car would be intercooler piping....and even then you can guarantee you will be hacking it up to make it fit.
Old 03-07-2009, 12:22 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

For decent parts, I would expect to pay the $950 for either the whole kit without the turbos, or just the turbos, but not both. With all the stuff in that kit, those are probably sub-$250 turbos, and you just can't expect decent (or long lasting) performance from them. That's my point. I'm sure you'll get your $950 worth of fun from it though.

I don't know, it just kills me to see that much work, time, and money into that engine (even if it is carb'd ) and then slap on the cheapest eBay stuff you can find.

Make sure you have a carb that can take positive pressure also.. Carb'd turbo setups can be very...interesting.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 03-07-2009 at 12:31 PM.
Old 03-07-2009, 12:25 PM
Racetracks

Originally Posted by sohc_mshue
80% of the Hondas I tune have ebay junk on them. I can tell you right now from experience it is shit. The quality is just terrible. The only thing ebay I would consider running on my car would be intercooler piping....and even then you can guarantee you will be hacking it up to make it fit.
I've seen some decent eBay intercoolers; the cores seem decent but the tank jobs are shit. Work fairly well, look like crap. Pretty much everything in that kit will work OK; stuff like the turbos, fan, etc., may not have a very long lifespan though. I think that whatever intercooler comes in a twin turbo kit for a total of $950 is going to be complete garbage though.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 03-07-2009 at 12:41 PM.
Old 03-07-2009, 01:03 PM
Banned

ebp_em1

I am no arguing about the quality im saying for the price, for a car that will barely be driven and the power that it will produce it was suffice ya know? Heres a link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-T...Q5fAccessories

Pruice went up afew hunderd still worht it.

I agree completel about the price of turbos and quality things. On my gsr ive got a sc61 a neukin mani a 200 something dollar wastegate. But for something that he will barely ever drive it should be fun for the price.
Old 03-07-2009, 01:15 PM
Registered Member

sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
I've seen some decent eBay intercoolers; the cores seem decent but the tank jobs are shit. Work fairly well, look like crap. Pretty much everything in that kit will work OK; stuff like the turbos, fan, etc., may not have a very long lifespan though. I think that whatever intercooler comes in a twin turbo kit for a total of $950 is going to be complete garbage though.
yea i agree i really haven't any problems with the intercoolers, but they do look like crap.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:09 PM
Registered Member

weldmatic has disabled reputation

ive been in many debates over the ebay stuff. the stuff works.... and in proportion to cost.

if you pay 200 for the turbo.... youll get every penny out of it.... the same can be said with 900-1500 dollor performance turbo that is correctly matched for your motor.

you could turbo a 350 very easily..... and cleanly with a ebay setup...... but for a grand or two more you could buy nice stuff...

you also could use a blow thru carb or have a sheetmetal intake made for the carb to sit in. thats the preferred way, carbed

most likely

Quick Reply: 74 Nova twin turbo.