Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

300zx won't start(long post)

Old 01-20-2006, 11:15 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
layz has disabled reputation
Default 300zx won't start(long post)

ok i bought a turbo '86 300zx, auto, this was like 4 or 5 months ago, ever since i had the car it would start up sometimes and other times not, after awhile i noticed it seemed like first start of the day it would be fine, but then if the car had been running recently when i go to start it, it struggles to start or wont start at all, alot of times i'll have to hold the gas pedal down(i actually pump it but from what i've heard actually pumping it doesnt help so i might as well just hold it down) cause it'll start but only got to about 200-300 rpms then die unless i'm on the gas pedal then it'll rev up and i'll usually hold it between 1500-3000 rpms, after about 15-20 seconds i can hear the car kinda like take over ever thing sounds kinda calm as opposed to the rather loud revving and i can take my foot off the pedal and it'll idle between 1500-2000

i had talked to the guy who sold me the car and he said he put things like new caps, plugs, rotors, wires on it, and it was a fairly new batter, and i know absolutely nothing about cars but one of my friends does, so we put new fuel filter, pcv pipe(or something like that), air filter, did an oil change, and put some bg44k in it, to see if maybe it was a fuel problem, seemed good the first day then was back to how it always was, first start is fine but any starts after aren't to good, but if its been sitting for hours then its usually pretty good

like i said i unfortunately know nothing about cars so i cant just go check if its getting fuel, spark, air, etc. like most people can which i plan on learning how to do eventually but just can't right now, since i've had the car the battery has died once, i replaced it(after having it about a month or two), and since then its died again after about 2 to 2 and a half months, also if i try to start it and i just have the engine turning(cranking?) but its not starting and i just keep it going for like 15-20 seconds while on the pedal it'll usually sputter to life, when i do start the car though theres always a really loud squeaky sound, my friend sprayed some wd-40 on it but that didnt help, but always after about 15 seconds of driving the sound goes away, no idea if that means anything or what, i was wondering first off what would make the engine start fine on i guess what would be called cold starts? but then actually have more trouble starting after that? i thought usually warm starts were easier, and my much bigger question is, is it bad to have the engine turning over that long(20 seconds) before it actually starts up? is their any potential for damage or anything on it?

also when i do try to start it up you can smell alot of fuel, anyone have any ideas of what it could be? hopefully if i narrow it down i can convince my friend to atleast help me check it out, but unfortunately from how he sounded before he doesnt know how to check the codes on it and i definatley dont know how, any help/ideas are greatly appreciated
Old 01-21-2006, 05:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gustav is infamous around these partsGustav is infamous around these partsGustav is infamous around these partsGustav is infamous around these partsGustav is infamous around these partsGustav is infamous around these partsGustav is infamous around these partsGustav is infamous around these partsGustav is infamous around these partsGustav is infamous around these partsGustav is infamous around these parts
Default Re: 300zx won't start(long post)

Possibly a bad Mass Air Flow sensor. Maybe a bad coolant temp sensor. Maybe a fuel pressure regulator sticking open. Those are some of the things I would look at but there are certainly other things that could cause this condition.