Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

300zx non-turbo

Old 01-12-2004, 08:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chidoks is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 300zx non-turbo

Hey,
Anyone have any experience with the non-turbo 300zx's? How much do they differ from the turbo z's? Different internals, same motor? Whats the compression ratio like on them? What are their weakpoints? Do they have a lot of problems? Has anyone had any experience turboing them? The reason i ask is 'cos I am considering replacing my h22 integra with a non-turbo z and i am looking to turbo it not too long after i get it. How much power can they handle on stock bottom end? Anyone make a turbo kit for them? What should I look for in a 90-95 300zx as far as common problems when i go to look at this car? Thanks a lot...
Old 01-12-2004, 08:25 AM
Registered Member

Greaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond repute

smaller 200mm ring gear rear end. T/T has a 230mm rear end.

clutch is smaller i think

get a T/T dont try to turbo an NA
Old 01-12-2004, 08:28 AM
Ghost

MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF

Originally posted by Greaser
get a T/T dont try to turbo an NA
Remember, a turbo version of any model car has MANY differences from the n/a version, including brakes, interior refinements, suspension, etc...do it right, start with a baseline that is easier to upgrade with higher potential.
Old 01-12-2004, 08:29 AM
Registered Member

Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo

Well, I don't have much experience with Z's. Well, nothing newer than 240's...

But, it has always been my experience that turbocharging an engine not made for it is a recipe for disaster if not done correctly. If you are planning on rebuilding the engine with the proper compression ratio and other supporting parts, you will probably be okay. But, if it's one of those "bolt-on" kits, they are usually much more trouble than they are worth.
Old 01-12-2004, 08:33 AM
Jay
VR-4ever

Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay

Get a TT. You'll thank yourself for the extra time that you took to find a stock, low-mileage one.
Old 01-12-2004, 09:17 AM
BRB, shark week.

Jestible Jestible Jestible Jestible Jestible Jestible Jestible Jestible Jestible Jestible Jestible

Originally posted by MerF
Remember, a turbo version of any model car has MANY differences from the n/a version, including brakes, interior refinements, suspension, etc...do it right, start with a baseline that is easier to upgrade with higher potential.
Unless you plan on doing it the right way and get an entire clip and swap everything out (including: engine/trans/axle/supsension/wire/harnesses/ecu/etc/etc/etc). That still, in some cases of cars, isn't enough sometimes.
Old 01-12-2004, 09:25 AM
Registered Member

Greaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond repute

oh yeah, 26mm thick rotors instead of 30mm on the TT.
Old 01-12-2004, 06:28 PM

TEGURIT TEGURIT TEGURIT

Get a TT I have had both. Z's are not easy to work on, most car enthusiast are only able to do minor modifications on these cars due to lack of space and complexity within these cars. If you can't find a TT in your price range you can build a nice all motor car, but with these cars, just like Supra's it's pricey.