Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

300zx guys

Old 03-30-2004, 07:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chidoks is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 300zx guys

Hey guys,
I am about to pick up a project 300zx tt for a decent price... This is a project and its real cheap though so its not like i am getting taken.. I have a problem though... The motor needs work... The guy I am buying it from says the motor is crankwalking and its noisy.. What do i have to do to fix it? Get a new crank? A new bottom end? New pistons/rods? Also the car needs new turbos... I know the 300zx's come with t3/t25's... I want to replace them with a set of cheap turbos that flow better... Anyone know a cheap set of turbos that flow better but still clear everything in the car? t28 off a blacktop silvia? t3 off a saab? t25 off a redtop silvia? 14b off a talon? t25 off a newer talon? Let me know... thanks guys...
Old 04-02-2004, 03:58 PM
Registered Member

kashimiru kashimiru kashimiru kashimiru kashimiru kashimiru kashimiru kashimiru kashimiru kashimiru kashimiru
Default Re: 300zx guys

not too many people bolt different turbos on those cars. mainly just kits (like JWT sport 500's). I've never heard of crank walk issues on VG motors. more likely its a rod knock. Check out twinturbo.net to find more info on them
Old 04-02-2004, 06:45 PM

k....finally some help...any nissan mechanics around? i have rebuilt honda motors but i have never rebuilt a vg motor b4...
Old 04-02-2004, 07:08 PM
nannerpus, nannerpus

Carter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these parts

First off, I don't know much about z32's. With that out of the way, VG's are the devil. You have to yank the motor to do anything on it. haha. IMO the t25's flow enough air. just crank up the boost. If you really want to replace them with something that will flow a tad bit more, 2 big t28's are good as well(not sure about clearance though, sorry).
Old 04-08-2004, 09:29 AM
FlavaFlave

fasterzx has disabled reputation

In order to fix the crankwalking problem you're going to have to get your crank resurfaced. If it hasn't scarred up the block yet you're lucky. You can pick up a set of used 300ZTT turbos off of ebay for not too much. It's better to either go with a larger turbo, or stick with the stock ones. If you switch to another brand (Saab, Volvo, or whatever) you're going to have issues with the clearence. HKS has an awesome setup that utilizes the TD-05 and it's not too expensive. Or you should look into getting some rebuilds from Garrett. Another place you can look is the twinturbo.net classifieds, stock turbos go for hella cheap all the time there. The stock turbos are good for 12-14 psi when properly tuned. Get a boost controller and you should be golden when it comes to a properly running Z.
Old 04-08-2004, 06:35 PM

thanks a lot fasterzx.... so u think if i was faced with the option of buying the motor that needs the crank for $500 or a jdm motor for $1200...what would u advise i do?
Old 04-08-2004, 07:30 PM
FredVegas

B16ASilverHonda has a spectacular aura aboutB16ASilverHonda has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by chidoks
k....finally some help...any nissan mechanics around? i have rebuilt honda motors but i have never rebuilt a vg motor b4...
I am a nissan tech at victory...

what kinda noise is it exactly, like bad lifters?

and you picked the wrong project if you wanted it to be cheap.
Old 04-09-2004, 09:18 PM
FlavaFlave

If I had the choice between fixing an old, used VG30DETT for 500 bucks, or getting a newer J-Spec one for an extra 700 dollars; I would go ahead and buy the other motor. Since you're looking for a project car, you could tear down and build up the original one while still giving ricers a run for their money. And it's always nice to have the peace of mind knowing that you always would have a ready stock of parts if you needed them.
Attached Thumbnails 300zx guys-ttcain.jpg  
Old 04-09-2004, 09:21 PM

nice car...what mods do u have done? any times from the track?
Old 04-10-2004, 12:30 AM
FlavaFlave

Thanks man, i appreciate it. Here's the complete list of stuff. I just copied it off my spreadsheet I have on my computer, so don't think I actually sat here and typed it....jesus that would take forever. I havn't ever run it at a track though so, no times. (sorry) But here is a dyno as well so, draw your own conlusions.

Performance Mods:
HKS Exhaust (4" tips)
HKS Super Megaflow Intake
SGP 2.5" Test Pipes
Gutted Precats
GReddy Intercoolers
AVC-R Boost Controller
JWT ECU
Colder NGK (#6) Plugs
Cyclone 3.5 Clutch
Jun Flywheel
Goodridge Steel Brakelines
Metal Matrix Pads
Stillen Cross Drilled Rotors
Stillen Adjustable Arms
Topline Aragosta Coilover system
Stillen Upper Arms
SGP Adjustable Tension Rods

Visuals (Exterior):
Racing Hart C5's (Front: 18x8.5 Rear 18x9.5)
235/40/18 and 275/35/18 Nitto 555
GTZ-R Front Nose w/Fairlady Z Emblem
GTZ-R Front Facia
Type III Sides
Type III Rear Valence
Type III Rear Wing With Carbon Fiber Insert
Ice Blue Metallic Custom Paint

Visuals (Interior):
NaVan Shift Knob
Razo Titanium Pedals
Two Tone Custom Katzkins
JT Aluminum Dash trim

Sound System:
Pioneer DEH-P8000 Head Unit
Alpine CDA-5755 Head on its way
R.F. Power Punch 500a2 Amp
Soundstream Rubicon Amp
JL 10W6 w/custom built box
2 6.5" Infinity Kappa Speakers (Door)
2 1.25" Infinity Kappa Tweeters
2 4x6 Excelon Speakers (Rear Hatch)

Misc:
Blitz FATT T.T.
Apexi Turbo Guage (still gotta put it in...)
Techtom MDM-100
Attached Thumbnails 300zx guys-ttcain3.jpg   300zx guys-dyno3.jpg  

Quick Reply: 300zx guys