Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

240sx idle concerns

Old 09-24-2009, 03:42 AM
Grippin the Grain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
importfanatic importfanatic importfanatic importfanatic importfanatic importfanatic importfanatic importfanatic importfanatic importfanatic importfanatic
Default 240sx idle concerns

Once again: 93 240sx stock KA24DE (intake, catback, lowered)
177XXX miles
Automatic

So I was leavin work a few minutes ago and my car seemed a lil hard to start up. After several key turns it started and I was on my way. When I came to the first intersection, the car just died. I placed it in "Park", turned the key, and it started right up. I continue driving and ended up behind a stopped school bus. As I was slowing down, I noticed the rpms dropping all the way down to about 50 rpms then back up to 1500 or so. I came to a complete stop and once again it died. I did notice that if I keep into the gas a little bit the car won't die while in gear. In Park, it idles normally. Is this a fuel problem, or a simple indication that my battery is shot? I'm stumped on this one.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:23 AM
Registered Member

protomor is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 240sx idle concerns

I'm willing to bet vacuum leak.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:48 AM
I Roll Fenders

WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia

There is a massive list of things this could be. If you have not done a tune up in a while it would be a good time to do that (plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor, air and fuel filter). During that process check out all of your couplers (around intake/MAF) and all of your vacuum lines on the intake manifold. If you have someone who can hold the brake for you while the car is in drive while you check some sensors you can basically unplug your sensors one at a time on the intake manifold and if the idle gets better when you unplug your TPS, IACV/ACC, or when you squeeze the vacuum line going to your FPR then you'll know what you need to fix.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:02 PM
Grippin the Grain

importfanatic importfanatic importfanatic importfanatic importfanatic importfanatic importfanatic importfanatic importfanatic importfanatic importfanatic

Originally Posted by WishIHadaSilvia
There is a massive list of things this could be. If you have not done a tune up in a while it would be a good time to do that (plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor, air and fuel filter). During that process check out all of your couplers (around intake/MAF) and all of your vacuum lines on the intake manifold. If you have someone who can hold the brake for you while the car is in drive while you check some sensors you can basically unplug your sensors one at a time on the intake manifold and if the idle gets better when you unplug your TPS, IACV/ACC, or when you squeeze the vacuum line going to your FPR then you'll know what you need to fix.
Ahh, some good info. I think I'm gonna look into that sometime this weekend. Good look. I'll post up the progress.