Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

2006 Audi A3 laundry list...

Old 11-30-2012, 08:32 AM
GLHF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo
Default 2006 Audi A3 laundry list...

I was just traded an 06 A3. It has the DSG with 2.0T engine. It has about 90k on it, and I'm going to assume the timing belt has not been replaced yet. Let me start my laundry list...

There seems to be oil leaking, from quite a few places. I've taken the "throttle body pipe" off (sorry if my terms aren't accurate, this car is all new to me, so is a turbo vehicle) to attempt a cleaning of the TB. I notice oil inside of the pipe, to the point where it dripped out for roughly 10 second or so. Is this a sign of bad oil line seals going to the turbo? How hard are these to replace? I do not have access to a lift.

I can't tell if there is oil leaking from the valve cover and/or head gasket as well. There was some standing oil on top of the engine, and it seemed as if the #4 (from left to right) coil pack wasn't completely sealed, and it made a "squish" when I pushed down on the top of it. I am unsure if this is due to a leak, or spillage during an oil change.

The trans. gasket/seal, could be leaking, I'm not sure. I do plan on having a shop do a once over on the car, so I'm sure they would be able to tell me.

The sensor that is located on the charge pipe, the pipe going up to the TB, what is this for? The wires of become disconnected from the actual sensor.

The driver side CV boot is bad, and there is grease all over the place around it. Hard to replace?

How hard is a timing chain/belt on this vehicle? I'd love to do everything I can myself, to save as much money as possible to keep this a "good deal" on my end.

The car is completely stock engine wise. Are there any recommended first mods/reliability mods that are highly recommended? such as that throttle body pipe, which clearly looks restrictive.

I will be doing hours upon hours of searching, but any and all information that can be put into this thread for me to easily find is greatly appreciated. I'm really hoping this car doesn't ruin Audis for me; It already seems like there is much much more work needed than I was anticipating.

I just joined audiforums.com and made this post over there as well. If there are any other forums you'd recommend, please do so. I also am looking for a great shop to go to. I have been told racewerks, which I've heard of as well. Any other recommendations?

Sorry for the novel, but thanks for any and all help!
Old 12-12-2012, 12:50 PM
Standartenführer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus
Default Re: 2006 Audi A3 laundry list...

- Timing belt wont last much longer as 90k miles is a stretch..literally.

- PCV Spider and Valve Cover gasket - ecstuning

-CV boot will fail your inspection, do it yourself by swapping the half-shaft, 45 mins in driveway

- Diverter Valve, boost hoses, spark plugs, fluids and something like http://www.autotechdst.com/products....86&language=en Fuel System and Oil System cleaners

Pull your valve cover and intake and look/clean around, fix the gaskets and whatever is broken then spray off all oil leak areas with something like http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=128435_0_0_ some oil is normal in that intake boot, are you blowing any smoke under hard boost ?

Mods I would recommend after fixing things would be DV, tune, cleaner + better flowing air intake, clutch, exhaust, $$$$$ on bigger turbo, fuel management, etc.

Last edited by euthorus; 12-12-2012 at 12:59 PM.