Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

2004 Acura TL Cold Start Issues

Old 12-07-2011, 04:43 PM
ℳσɱəɳʈʐ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sketchy Sketchy Sketchy Sketchy Sketchy Sketchy Sketchy Sketchy Sketchy Sketchy Sketchy
Exclamation 2004 Acura TL Cold Start Issues

Okay every morning I start my car it will make a strange tapping/clicking noise in engine bay closer to passenger side. It makes that sound until it warms up.. Once it is warmed up it will be completely quiet... Anyone know what is causing that noise? My guess was Hydraulic TB Tensioner.. But not too sure... It's definitely not a valve tick
Old 12-07-2011, 05:07 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: 2004 Acura TL Cold Start Issues

Hydraulic timing belt tensioners move very slowly and generally only move in one direction (out). There are a few things that would change sound with temperature or oil pressure though, so one of those is the more likely choice. There is a change in idle speed between cold and warm too, so any RPM-based noises could change when it is no longer in cold idle mode.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:07 AM

99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Hydraulic timing belt tensioners move very slowly and generally only move in one direction (out). There are a few things that would change sound with temperature or oil pressure though, so one of those is the more likely choice. There is a change in idle speed between cold and warm too, so any RPM-based noises could change when it is no longer in cold idle mode.
i hate to disagree with you as i normally agree with most of what you say but i have to on this one

Yes the belt tensioner is most likely your noise, its common for the v6 honda's once they get up in the mileage as oil from the tensioner slowly leaks past the seal and it looses some of its tension and starts smacking back and forth since it has play in it. my accord hybrid did this earlier this year along with 4 other customer cars' of mine i have seen. Once it warms up noise goes away as it gets better with the ambient heat of the engine warming it up.

the only other thing i would say that could be is valve lash on cylinder 1 or 2 being a bit loose but i doubt it would cause a noise you would complain about which is why i say t/b tensioner all day long
Old 12-18-2011, 04:43 PM
ℳσɱəɳʈʐ

Sketchy Sketchy Sketchy Sketchy Sketchy Sketchy Sketchy Sketchy Sketchy Sketchy Sketchy

Ended up being Hydraulic Tensioner... It had a Very Slow leak