Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

2002 Jetta Cluster Help

Old 10-13-2010, 10:36 AM
OV-104

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis
Default 2002 Jetta Cluster Help

A good friend of mine has a 2002 Jetta 2.0 with an auto transmission. Saturday the Speedo crapped out, then today the fuel level indicator started breaking it down and shuffling left to right with the slightest turn. My first thoughts was the VSS on the Speedo problem until the Level Indicator started fouling up. Do you feel that it could be a ground somewhere in the system or just two separate problems that are just bad luck?

I have check and cleaned the cluster grounds with no luck, all fuses, etc.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:48 PM
Slowest HRC Member

BAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2002 Jetta Cluster Help

Take the cluster out, check all the solder joints on the back of the connector. You may need a magnifier. You are looking for any cracks in the solder. IF there are any, you'll need to "de-solder" the connection, then re-solder with some quality electronic 60/40 Rosin Core.

You'll also want to see if there are any other cracks in any other solder joints, and repair as needed. If it's the cluster, that's likely the cause.

I'm not objectionable to having bad enough luck to have 2 different issues though. Seen that too many times.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:43 PM
OV-104

Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis

All the solders look good. Thanks for the input. Since it dances when turning I am leaning toward the floater for that issue
Old 10-18-2010, 03:20 PM
OV-104

No one?
Old 10-19-2010, 12:23 PM

actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball

My money is on connector or sending unit for your speed sensor (VSS), typically under or around your air clear box assembly on your transmission. Failure will also cause erratic fuel level indications exactly as you described.

Its a $30 (or less) part. Sometimes the plug itself is just corroded.

Also check you ground near that speed sensor, battery and washer tank and any other visible grounds first.

Its probably NOT a coincidence they both went out close to the same time.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:31 PM
OV-104

I was reading that changing the VSS requires cracking the tranny open? But there are other sensors for it that do not.

Thanks for the input!