Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

2001 Tiburon Keeps blowing radio fuse - help

Old 01-12-2012, 05:15 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Travis. Travis. Travis. Travis. Travis. Travis. Travis. Travis. Travis. Travis. Travis.
Default 2001 Tiburon Keeps blowing radio fuse - help

Alright my friend has a tiburon and he has and aftermarket head unit in it. recently, it stopped working and the fuse under the hood for the radio was blown. the passenger compartment audio fuse was blown too. replaced the passenger compartment one, and it stays fine. the under hood one blows every time it gets power. the thing is that his aftermarket hu worked fine for months and just started doing it. It's all wired up correctly harness wise, so really the only thing I can think of is a bad ground or a short. any help/possible test methods are appreciated.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:03 AM
Registered Member

holdaur has disabled reputation
Default Re: 2001 Tiburon Keeps blowing radio fuse - help

Pull the radio out and check the wiring. There is a very good chance that the power wire is shorting out to ground causing the fuse to blow.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:38 AM
TonzAGunz

Dubee88 Dubee88 Dubee88 Dubee88 Dubee88 Dubee88 Dubee88 Dubee88 Dubee88 Dubee88 Dubee88

does the tiburon have the factory amplified system in it? if so, and if they integrated the factory amp without bypassing it, that could be causing the issue of a fuse blowing or a short in the electrical/audio system
Old 01-13-2012, 05:42 AM
NAZI mod

BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER

its more than likely a power wire that has rubbed the coating off and is grounding itself out.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:49 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Pull the head unit, unplug the harness from the back of it, and then see if it still blows fuses. Then you'll know exactly whether the problem is the head unit or the wiring, and then you can follow the right course of action based on that.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:09 AM
Unregistered Member

Travis. Travis. Travis. Travis. Travis. Travis. Travis. Travis. Travis. Travis. Travis.

Originally Posted by holdaur
Pull the radio out and check the wiring. There is a very good chance that the power wire is shorting out to ground causing the fuse to blow.
I redid all the wiring from the factory harness to the radio. Nothing.

Originally Posted by Dubee88
does the tiburon have the factory amplified system in it? if so, and if they integrated the factory amp without bypassing it, that could be causing the issue of a fuse blowing or a short in the electrical/audio system
It does have the factory system in it. He had subs and a amp in there previously though. Maybe that did it because it was using a aftermarket amp, and the stock one cant handle it?

Originally Posted by DonkeyPunch
its more than likely a power wire that has rubbed the coating off and is grounding itself out.
Alright, I'll double check everything to see what I can find. I didn't see anything that looked messed up.

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Pull the head unit, unplug the harness from the back of it, and then see if it still blows fuses. Then you'll know exactly whether the problem is the head unit or the wiring, and then you can follow the right course of action based on that.
Thanks, he's on his way over and I'll test that. I swore we tried that but he said we didn't. But if it doesn't blow with the radio harness/head unit removed, then its definitely the radio. What would be the next course of action. Most people are saying its probably a bad ground or a short, but I'm lost as to where to look for such a thing.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:46 AM
last breath first

gdupfromfeetup gdupfromfeetup gdupfromfeetup gdupfromfeetup gdupfromfeetup gdupfromfeetup gdupfromfeetup gdupfromfeetup gdupfromfeetup gdupfromfeetup gdupfromfeetup

dont lie you know its your tiburon
Old 01-13-2012, 11:47 AM
Unregistered Member

no faggle my car is listed for sale, but either way.

but anyways, im pretty sure i got it all working. he needs a new radio basically, it was just bad luck that the 2 head units he and one i had laying around were all bad. we tested mine from my car and it worked fine.

Last edited by Travis.; 01-13-2012 at 01:07 PM.