Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

2001 Prelude tachometer all over the place, running like... well you know

Old 10-11-2010, 09:17 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IntegraLS4dr has disabled reputation
Default 2001 Prelude tachometer all over the place, running like... well you know

I am at a loss of ideas. I have replaced plugs, wires, coil, reset ecu, etc... The only thing i havent really done is replaced the dizzy. It started out when I would start the car in the morning it would drive fine until i turned the car off. When i would restart the car the tachometer would be jumping everywhere and the car would jerk and back fire. It was not a pleasant ride with my solid mounts. It has now continued to do this continuously. I might catch it on a good day or night when leaving work that it will start this way and then work fine. When it gets really bad the Speedometer jumps right along side the tachometer. I have no idea what is causing this. I know im getting misfires cylinder 1,2,3,4. Multiple misfire code, and low voltage. These don't correolate with anything in particular. Im thinking igniter, tps, or i dont know what. I don't even know how to describe my problem in google to find a legitimate answer. What i do know is i replaced the motor and i know i had to use atleast one part from my old motor as a connector was broken on the implant. The throttle part with the tps. and thinking back i know i posted a dizzy on here that i broke the clip off of and i dont know if its the one that was on the donor or the one on my old motor. I wish I could find this dizzy as the igniter by itself is like 91 dollars. Anyhelp or like problems will greatly be appreciated.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:06 AM
Now drives a SWagon

Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi
Default Re: 2001 Prelude tachometer all over the place, running like... well you know

stopping hitting ur vtak...
Old 10-12-2010, 04:09 AM
Registered Member

Default Re: 2001 Prelude tachometer all over the place, running like... well you know

thanks havent hit that in months
Old 10-12-2010, 08:47 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by IntegraLS4dr
It has now continued to do this continuously.
I just had to quote that, it made me laugh.

I have no idea what is causing this. I know im getting misfires cylinder 1,2,3,4. Multiple misfire code, and low voltage. These don't correolate with anything in particular.
Of course they correlate with something. You're not getting misfire fires for no reason. It sounds like you're probably not getting power to the coil, or to some part of the ignition system obviously, or are missing a ground which can somewhat mimic the same symptoms. It's also possible that it's a distributor problem, because they can sometimes cause problems like that, but would usually cause at least an intermittent sensor CEL.

It sounds like you're already thinking in the right terms (except for the TPS; just forget about that for now) so grab a multimeter and start checking stuff out.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:29 PM
Registered Member

I had a m6-al msd ignition and i thought it was th coil breaking up too but i replaced it with a stock one i purchased at advance. so im sure its not the coil. i replaced plugs wires and cleaned cap and rotor with a wire brush. i checked all the grounds. but you know sometimes you cant tell. im really looking at icm. but there are soooo many different symptoms for it. Im pretty sure its not fuel pump but i mean im not positive.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:34 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

You wouldn't get misfire codes with a fuel pump problem, the engine would just die.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:54 PM
Registered Member

fuel filter?
Old 10-12-2010, 11:45 PM
Racetracks

fuel filter?
Come on man... You have very clearcut CELs, and they have nothing to do with the fuel system.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:09 AM
Registered Member

password can only hope to improve

Had the same symptoms on a 1999 prelude. Check if the spark plugs are tight.

A friend finger tightened the spark plugs and it made the tach go crazy and would bog and all as it would lose compression at times.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:08 AM
Registered Member

ok ok my bad

Quick Reply: 2001 Prelude tachometer all over the place, running like... well you know