Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

2000 VW Passat 1.8t PROBLEM!!!!

Old 09-28-2005, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dcsk8tr04 has disabled reputation
Default 2000 VW Passat 1.8t PROBLEM!!!!

dont know how much everybody has experience with VW, but today i was starting to take the head off to do a head gasket job. To let you know coolant was milky white but it was wierd cause it was real thick like barely melted ice cream, it had now flow to it at all. So my boss brings out the fact that on vw and some other european cars you cant mix antifreezes so were thinkin maybe its that instead of blown head gasket. Anyway i began to take the lines off the turbo and the turbo has a oil line and a COOLANT LINE. when i removed the coolant line oil started pumping out of the fitting on turbo. The line is a coolant supplly line from the IM. question? could there be a seal or something inside the turbo causing oil to go into coolant? any help is much appreciated, sorry for long post
Old 10-12-2005, 09:35 PM

91civichatch has disabled reputation
Default Re: 2000 VW Passat 1.8t PROBLEM!!!!

well not to b ugly but dude.....get a honda.lol my z6 with mild upgrades in my hatch beat a 1.8t passat. but no shouldnt be no seals just passage ways. the oil and coolant might be mixing elsewhere. and no cant mix antifreezes. it will fudge up.
Old 10-18-2005, 05:30 PM
Registered Member

axis45 has disabled reputation

put everything back together except the coolant lines and pinch them off or loop them. start the engine and run it for a minute, watch the coolant connections at the turbo, if oil oozes out of it then you may some kind of crack or somthing in the water jacket of the turbo, allowing oil pressure to enter the cooling system.
Old 10-18-2005, 05:57 PM
wub wub wub wub

VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla

Originally Posted by 91civichatch
well not to b ugly but dude.....get a honda.lol my z6 with mild upgrades in my hatch beat a 1.8t passat. but no shouldnt be no seals just passage ways. the oil and coolant might be mixing elsewhere. and no cant mix antifreezes. it will fudge up.
Come get some!
Old 10-18-2005, 06:20 PM
Registered Member

coolme187 has disabled reputation

hey try posting on www.passatworld.com. you will find the answer to your problem
Old 10-18-2005, 07:02 PM
Registered member

D.Nick has much to be proud ofD.Nick has much to be proud ofD.Nick has much to be proud ofD.Nick has much to be proud ofD.Nick has much to be proud ofD.Nick has much to be proud ofD.Nick has much to be proud ofD.Nick has much to be proud ofD.Nick has much to be proud ofD.Nick has much to be proud ofD.Nick has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ZeRo_c0oL@work
Come get some!

Easy now...dont wan to put a hurtin on him. He probably ran a stock one anyways.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:14 PM
:super sleeper:

GTItillIdie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dcsk8tr04
dont know how much everybody has experience with VW, but today i was starting to take the head off to do a head gasket job. To let you know coolant was milky white but it was wierd cause it was real thick like barely melted ice cream, it had now flow to it at all. So my boss brings out the fact that on vw and some other european cars you cant mix antifreezes so were thinkin maybe its that instead of blown head gasket. Anyway i began to take the lines off the turbo and the turbo has a oil line and a COOLANT LINE. when i removed the coolant line oil started pumping out of the fitting on turbo. The line is a coolant supplly line from the IM. question? could there be a seal or something inside the turbo causing oil to go into coolant? any help is much appreciated, sorry for long post
Ok, just to let you know, you have to use g12 or g13 coolant from the dealership in all VW's, they tend to not like any other coolant...... and to answer your question, no, there is no way that the coolant and the oil are mixing in the turbo, and if they were mixing anywhere else it would be in the block, which means your car most likely wouldnt be running....... This may sound dumb, but are you sure you pulled the coolant line off and not the oil line? pull them both off and make sure that theres 2 different things coming out off the 2 different lines..... if you need any help just let me know....
Old 10-19-2005, 02:36 AM
Registered Member

axis45 has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by GTItillIdie
no, there is no way that the coolant and the oil are mixing in the turbo, ...
seen it happen
Old 10-19-2005, 03:32 AM
wub wub wub wub

VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla

Originally Posted by BMC
Easy now...dont wan to put a hurtin on him. He probably ran a stock one anyways.

Maybe a stock 1.8T that didn't even know they were racing.. lol

I've taken down all kinds of swapped Honda's that I expected to be faster. I've lost to a few that were well built, but the average swapped CRX, Integra, Civic, etc aren't usually anything to be intimidated by.

He said he's got a weak motor with mild mods and killed a 1.8T. That's fine. All I'm saying is that if you think your z6 swap in a hatch is fast, come get some. lol... There's not a whole lot of aftermarket for the Passat's. I'm not 100% sure about the B5, but the B5.5 Passat 1.8T's motor sits different than a G/J 1.8T. One of my buddies has a really nice B5.5 but IIRC I think he said no one even ever wrote software for the Passat. That may have changed since then, but the average Passat 1.8T you run across is either going to be stock in terms of the motor.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:57 AM
nannerpus, nannerpus

Carter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these parts

the b5.5 g/j 1.8t iirc z6 wtf. the thread was started 9-28 and he hasn't posted since.

Quick Reply: 2000 VW Passat 1.8t PROBLEM!!!!