Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

2000 Civic - Squeaking From Rear

Old 08-02-2012, 04:12 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chinagreenelvis has disabled reputation
Default 2000 Civic - Squeaking From Rear

I just bought the car. Even while test driving it there was a constant squeaking, and the owner didn't know what the problem might be. I figure it's hopefully an easy fix, but no idea what's causing it and haven't taken it to a shop yet.

Here's an example I found on YouTube that matches my problem exactly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbUEq3Fhoic

The sound is absolutely coming from the rear of the vehicle. If anyone knows what this is, please, I would greatly appreciate the info.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:25 PM
Flatulence

PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov
Default Re: 2000 Civic - Squeaking From Rear

Check all your bushings I'm the rear of the vehicle. Try to replicate the sound by pushing on the trunk lid.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:31 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Sounds like some part of the brakes rubbing. If it's really like the video it almost sounds like a rotating squeak and not a linear motion squeak (like going over a bump) and you have a front wheel drive car so it can't be a rear driveline problem. That also means that it's really easy to troubleshoot because you can rotate it without a driveline attached. Turn the wheel and see what happens. Look for things like backing plates or dust shields rubbing on the brake disc or something like that. If that's the case, you'll see a shiny area of bare metal somewhere.

If it was a wheel bearing, it would be so devoid of grease that it would have disintegrated by now. It is possible that you have a wheel bearing that is worn and has too much play, causing something to rub on something else (like the parts mentioned above).

I know the video isn't of your car; does it actually sound like that or does it change when going over a bump, etc...? Is it speed dependent?

Last edited by Fabrik8; 08-02-2012 at 04:33 PM.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:01 PM
ermahgerd

bumada bumada bumada bumada bumada bumada bumada bumada bumada bumada bumada

My integra used to do that. It ended up being the driver seat belt holder rubbing on the seat and center console. I know you're thinking that you said it's coming from the rear, but this did sound like it was coming from the rear for some reason. Took forever to diagnose. Just a suggestion and an easy thing to check.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:18 PM
Registered Member

I'll prop it up in the morning and rotate the wheels to see what happens.

I had a passenger in the back seat during the test drive and he thought it was the seats because it was coming from underneath him. Still makes the noise with or without anyone back there, with the seats up or down. I'm certain it's coming from the rear.

The sound is exactly like in the video, only much louder. It's like the sound of frantically squeegeeing wet glass, only you can tell it's metallic in nature.

It doesn't seem dependent on speed and is definitely exacerbated by going over bumpy roads, but it can also get just as bad on an otherwise smooth drive. There is, also, occasionally, a very loud thump/click that comes from the back right when turning. Usually only happens once. I took everything out of the trunk to make sure it wasn't something knocking around back there, like the spare tire.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:22 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by PicovAndropov
Check all your bushings I'm the rear of the vehicle. Try to replicate the sound by pushing on the trunk lid.
I actually did try that, and pressing down on the car doesn't seem to make the same sound. Being inside the car and rocking it forward and backward a bit did, however.
Old 08-03-2012, 03:30 PM
Registered Member

Nevermind, pressing down on the car makes exactly that sound.

So if it's the bushings making the noise, is that part of the suspension? What can I do about it?
Old 08-03-2012, 05:19 PM
TAINT PUNCHER!

Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby

Could be shocks squeaking
Old 08-03-2012, 06:01 PM
RIP DRAGVA-2016

NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch

Originally Posted by chinagreenelvis
Nevermind, pressing down on the car makes exactly that sound.

So if it's the bushings making the noise, is that part of the suspension? What can I do about it?
typical honda issue

Usually its control arm bushings
Old 08-03-2012, 06:36 PM
ermahgerd

bumada bumada bumada bumada bumada bumada bumada bumada bumada bumada bumada

Could be trailing arm bushings.

Quick Reply: 2000 Civic - Squeaking From Rear