Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

2000 civic si camber jam nut help

Old 10-09-2013, 08:30 AM
Libya??

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
endwell17 has disabled reputation
Thumbs up Re: 2000 civic si camber jam nut help

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
I'm not sure if I would trust a RivNut to withstand suspension loads, especially when inserted from the outside of the chassis. You would really have to know what the pullout loads are, and be confident that the RivNut and the installation procedure (quality/roundness of hole, deburring, etc.) can withstand those loads. Else the RivNut will loosen or pull out, either of which can overload the other bolt and cause a suspension failure.

You would likely be better off getting the stripped nut drilled out and Helicoiled.

I assume there isn't a way to access the back of the chassis where the stripped nut is?

(Sorry if some of my sentences are messed up in advanced. I'm trying to do this on my phone)
Yea the more I ask around the shop trying to find some rivet nuts the more I think they might not be the best option for my suspension. Like your saying using them on the camber most likely it will not withstand all the wear the suspension will be giving out. Someone said that maybe cutting a hole near it, sticking a nut back there, and then welding the hole back shut would work. I am not sure if this will weaken my support for the camber at the frame, but apparently he use to do it all the time at jeep.
No Fabrik8 there is no way to get back there besides the cutting the hole option. As for the stripped nut it is already out. Leaving just the thin frame, and a hole. I'm not sure in what I would be drilling, and for the helicoil there is no way to thread the hole since its very thin. Hopfully I can have pictures soon this week. I am just trying to advoid driving the car till I'm ready to fix it, and not just ghetto rig it.
Thanks for any feed back guys
Old 10-09-2013, 10:38 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: 2000 civic si camber jam nut help

How did the nut come out?
Old 10-09-2013, 11:35 AM
Libya??

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
How did the nut come out?
I'm guessing the welds were fragile, and spun loose when attempting to take the bolt out.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:35 PM
Libya??

fixed!!!! delete