Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

2000 Celica GTS v-belt and trans questions (unrelated to each other)

Old 05-07-2010, 09:06 AM
ATGATT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike
Default 2000 Celica GTS v-belt and trans questions (unrelated to each other)

On a 2000 Celica GTS does the belt tension automatically adjust or is there a manual adjustment? The belt squeals when you accelerate, but it passes a visual and tactile inspection, so I'm thinking it's a tension issue. (Nevermind on the belt...sheesh that's a painful car to have to work on, looks like you might as well spring for a tensioner and belt as long as you're doing all that labor)

The trans doesn't want to go above 2nd gear when cold. I was going to suggest a trans fluid flush, but it's had one recently. So...piece of grit in the valve body or sticking valve I'm guessing?

Last edited by marlinspike; 05-07-2010 at 09:12 AM.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:53 AM
low&slow

slotoyo slotoyo slotoyo slotoyo slotoyo slotoyo slotoyo slotoyo slotoyo slotoyo slotoyo
Default Re: 2000 Celica GTS v-belt and trans questions (unrelated to each other)

is the 2nd gear problem only when its cold? not a toyota expert but could that of a bad syncros(spelling)?
Old 05-07-2010, 09:53 AM
ATGATT

marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike
Default Re: 2000 Celica GTS v-belt and trans questions (unrelated to each other)

Yeah, only when cold. It's an automatic btw.
Old 05-07-2010, 05:19 PM
do a da cha cha

SH-IZZLE is an unknown quantity at this point

The 1.8 liter motor had a tensioner problem. They released a tsb with revised part number's as well as new part's. And yes that motor imo is a pain I hate it with a passion. As for the trans. How many mile's? Is the correct fluid being used? It should take Type 4 T-lV.
Old 05-07-2010, 06:11 PM
DURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

The Wok The Wok The Wok The Wok The Wok The Wok The Wok The Wok The Wok The Wok The Wok

Tensioner is automatic. They do have issues (as stated above.)

TSB with part numbers is here:
http://www.celicahobby.com/tech/tsb2..._Tensioner.pdf
Old 05-07-2010, 06:17 PM
ATGATT

Originally Posted by SH-IZZLE
The 1.8 liter motor had a tensioner problem. They released a tsb with revised part number's as well as new part's. And yes that motor imo is a pain I hate it with a passion. As for the trans. How many mile's? Is the correct fluid being used? It should take Type 4 T-lV.
About 101k miles. And yeah, it's got that weird Toyota fluid in it. Well, I would think so since a dealership did it. Not my car you see...
Old 05-08-2010, 02:09 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

I'm afraid to ask whether this is your car or not.
Old 05-08-2010, 02:22 PM
ATGATT

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
I'm afraid to ask whether this is your car or not.
LOL, no. I have never regularly driven a vehicle that wasn't either RWD or AWD, and the AWD is just my mom's old car that I use as a beater. Heck, never regularly drove a car with an engine smaller than 3.6 liters either. I can hardly even fit in a Celica.