Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

2 quick questions

Old 12-29-2007, 08:19 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ninja11 has disabled reputation
Default 2 quick questions

1. ok so i need to replace the bumpers (front and back) on my civic. ive looked around online and i found this. http://www2.partstrain.com/v5/produc...294966995+9277 they are called like bumper covers? is that the same thing as the stock part? or should i just buy 1 from a dealer/car shop? i went to a parts supplier and they said it would be around 200 or so for a new bumper and on that site its under 50 dollars. anyway has anyone used a "bumper cover" before?

2. i recently got some new rims for my car ands the guy i bought them from gave me a thing with locking lugnuts. my dad, who is pretty good w/ cars, says i dont need to use all of the locking lugnuts. he said it would be fine if i only used 1 on each wheel because they cant be stolen if there is still a locing one on it. his point of not using all 4 on each wheel is that you couldnt tighten them as well because you need to use the key and stuff. so my main question is do you use all of them or just 1 per wheel?

summary-
-is a bumper cover the same as a bumper? (see link above)
-do you use only 1 locking lug per wheel or all?
Old 12-29-2007, 08:34 PM
Sup, ladies?

Lestar Lestar Lestar Lestar Lestar Lestar Lestar Lestar Lestar Lestar Lestar
Default Re: 2 quick questions

1. Bumper covers cover your bumper, not replace them.

2. Your dad is right.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:36 PM
Registered Member

QUICKVIII has disabled reputation

First of all your bumper is made up of several components. A Reinforcement, A bumper filler and a bumper cover. Reinforcement is the big metal assy inside the bumper, alot of people take this out to save weight. The bumper filler is the styrofoam piece that sandwiches between the cover and the reinforcement. The cover is the rubber/plastic cover that you see on the outside. The OE cover is probably several hundred dollars new the filler new is about 50 bucks and the reinforcement is about 100 bucks. Now there are companies who make "aftermarket" covers that look like originals and sell for much less, even possibly 50 bucks. Be carefull, sometimes thet don't fit exactly, but most of the newer stuff works fine. So you are probably comparing a OE new cover to a aftermarket cover. Now as for lugs your Dad is correct to a point. One lug should protect your wheels fine, but trust me if they want them they are gonna get them no matter how many locking lugs you use. Also alot of the folks here use keyed or locking lugs on all studs just so they all match. But it's personal preference.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:17 PM
Registered Member

Ninja11 has disabled reputation

ok that helps. i wanted to use all the lugs so it would match. and the part of the bumper that you see is the damaged part so im guessing that its the "cover". it just has a bunch of scratches,gashes, and a few holes in it. i guess it makes sense that they are cheaper because they arent genuine honda parts.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:14 AM
Registered Member

QUICKVIII has disabled reputation

As a quick after thought, Maybe hit the wanted section and the for sale section to see if a member has something laying around. It would benefit you both!
Old 12-30-2007, 02:51 PM
Full Access Member

jlgrtype jlgrtype jlgrtype jlgrtype jlgrtype jlgrtype jlgrtype

the plastic "bumper" on your car is a bomper cover. Yes, this would be the right part to order. and unless you use a torque wrench you will never tighten your wheels right. Its a mater of preference.