Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

1999 Mercury Cougar not firing on all cylinders.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:14 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
erik02 erik02 erik02 erik02 erik02 erik02 erik02 erik02 erik02 erik02 erik02
Default 1999 Mercury Cougar not firing on all cylinders.

Car: 1999 Mercury Cougar
Engine: 2.5 Liter Duratec
Mileage: 133000
Symptoms: Cylinders 5 and 6 are not firing.

I have replaced the spark plug wires, ignition coil, spark plugs, and DPFE sensor and IACV has been cleaned. With a timing light I can see that the plugs are sparking. If I remove the wire from the spark plug on cylinders 5 and 6, there is no change in idle, or the way it revs; If I do this on any other cylinder it struggles to continue idling. Besides checking my injectors to see that they are operating properly, does anyone have suggestions as to what I can check or what is causing the issue? Its a bit to late for me to take the manifold off and check the injectors right now so I have not performed this step.

Thanks in advance,

Erik
Old 09-15-2010, 07:20 PM
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn
Default Re: 1999 Mercury Cougar not firing on all cylinders.

thats the only thing it can be...injectors...

i have a scanner and can look at each individual injector without removing anything...

take it to a shop..they will tell you whats wrong.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:28 AM
Registered Member

Its currently in no condition to be driven, however I found a set of injectors so I will be replacing them soon and reporting back. Thanks for the advice.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:16 AM
Stiff Member

Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock

NUmber the injectors to the cylinder you take them out off. If you can swap the injector from the cylinder that is not "firing" to another one.

If you have a voltmeter, measure the resistance off each one and compare to the others. They should not be more than a few OHMS difference. Radioshack has a decent digital type for under $40. I'd get one if you are into working on your car/s.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:03 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Laserjock
NUmber the injectors to the cylinder you take them out off. If you can swap the injector from the cylinder that is not "firing" to another one.

If you have a voltmeter, measure the resistance off each one and compare to the others. They should not be more than a few OHMS difference. Radioshack has a decent digital type for under $40. I'd get one if you are into working on your car/s.
I have the manifold off right now, as soon as I get off work I am going to swap them and see if antoher cylinder has the issue. I just didn't have the time, or will, to get it done last night. I do have a voltmeter I can check them on. I'm not very familiar with fuel systems which is why I'm posting here. Thanks.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:09 AM
NAZI mod

BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER

I had one of those cars for the longest... how in the fuck did you change the plugs WITHOUT taking the manifold off? check all your connections.... it may just be a messed up injector clip.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:17 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by УДАР ОСЛА
I had one of those cars for the longest... how in the fuck did you change the plugs WITHOUT taking the manifold off? check all your connections.... it may just be a messed up injector clip.
The ones in the back, i had to drop the spark plug socket down before putting the extension down there, I don't even remember how I managed to get the plugs out...It's my sisters car, and I wouldn't admit to having owned one myself. You sir have larger balls than I. Ive check the connections multiple times, and have verified cylinders 5 and 6 ARE getting spark. Verified with an inductive timing light (and not close to any other wires) as well as holding the plug to the manifold and visually seeing the arch. Taking that IACV off was far worse then doing the plugs, I hope you never had to do that.

I'm regretting having purchased this car already, it seemed like a good deal at the time, and was needed....but it is such a pain in the ass to work on. Now I remember why I don't like FWD ( this engine layout is shit).

Once again thinks for the suggestions everyone. Late last night I was thinking the only thing to do was blast it with piss, now I'm thinking there might be a small chance I can get it running properly.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:38 AM
nortaP

Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded

I'd say it's an injector problem.

http://www.newcougar.org
Old 09-16-2010, 08:51 AM
NAZI mod

BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER

Originally Posted by erik02
It's my sisters car, and I wouldn't admit to having owned one myself. You sir have larger balls than I.
By " i used to own one" I wsa implying my name was on the itle and my wife drove it. LOL. i hated that fucking car.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:11 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Reloaded
I'd say it's an injector problem.

http://www.newcougar.org
Ahh, thank you for reminding me to change my password there. I have it saved on my work pc, but not at home and can't for the life of me find a a reset password option.

Originally Posted by УДАР ОСЛА
By " i used to own one" I wsa implying my name was on the itle and my wife drove it. LOL. i hated that fucking car.
Lol, I am already counting down the days till I can get rid of it. After reading about the misc. recalls for various things from fuel pumps being fucked up to the cam timings being marked wrong, the endless egr issues, the craptastic interior; I realized I should have made her catch rides to class for a few weeks longer and bought something else. Oh well, my fault for lack of research.

Quick Reply: 1999 Mercury Cougar not firing on all cylinders.