Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

1997 BMW 528i overheating

Old 06-12-2007, 06:23 PM
Ultmte Drvn Machine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97svtcobra is an unknown quantity at this point
Question 1997 BMW 528i overheating

I bought this car last week sometime for $7500 with 110,000 miles. On the way home from the dealership it started overheating. I pulled it over and the dealer had it towed the next day. The shop that they use (Field Automotive - Va Beach) said that it had a blown head gasket but the dealership is going to pay for it. I know since it has a blown HG there is something that is causing this to happen. I google'd it and looked around online, I saw that there was quite a few threads and articles about this paticular car having overheating problems but no one could really easily answer any of the owners questions on the sites that i saw. I was just wondering if there was anyone on "Drag" that works on a lot of BMW's or is a BMW Tech. Or just owns a 5 series and knows anything about them. Pretty much what I'm looking for is input on this paticular car and not input from some other car that the same thing happened lol. I mean honestly it doesn't really matter what it is because the shop is gunna fix it free of charge regardless. I'm just having a feeling they are gunna hit it with a "temp. fix" and it will eventually overheat again. Hopefully I can know something to look for due to this thread. I appreciate any feedback what so ever, so I will say this ahead of time. THANKS!!!
Old 06-13-2007, 07:53 AM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic
Default Re: 1997 BMW 528i overheating

i'll take broken water pump impeller for 500 alex.

when they have the head off, put a geba water pump on it with the brass impeller.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:01 AM
Registered Member

sprack is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by fc735
i'll take broken water pump impeller for 500 alex.

when they have the head off, put a geba water pump on it with the brass impeller.
bingo

ive had a few high mileage mercedes-benz water pumps with shattered water pump impellers coming in with the same problem. could be the head gasket as well.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:56 PM
Ultmte Drvn Machine

Well they said the head gasket IS BLOWN, definitly. I just have a feeling they are gunna fix the gasket and not whatever is making it blow. Ya feel me? So really what I'm kinda gettin at is.... when they give it back to me with a brand new head gasket and it overheats again within a week. Well, i want to know what to look for thats making it overheat. That way i can replace it and not have to worry about replacing that $2500 HG again. Do you think they will have some kind of warranty on it? (the HG that is)... I preciate yalls input though, is that something common in German engineering?
Old 06-15-2007, 07:19 PM
Ultmte Drvn Machine

ok... I called the shop today and asked what exactly they are doing. They took off the head and sent it to the machine shop to see if it had been warped or damaged in any way. (it hadn't been - thank God) Now they are in the process of replacing the head gasket and thermostat. Then when they get that done they are gunna pressure check the radiator. Does this sound right to anyone? This is all i was told, does anyone think that this will definitly fix/find the problem that is makin that HG blow? I mean i look at it as... New thermo, new head gasket, head itself has been checked and is fine and then pressure check the radiator when all back together. Honestly what else could it be? I know the post(s) above say water pump but im sure that is one of the first things they checked. Oh, AND YES the fans do cut on and work properly also. Any input on how yall think this will work out?
Old 06-16-2007, 09:06 AM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

put a new water pump on it, even if you have to pay for it.

i will bet five dollars to a fat mans ass that the pump has either sheared the impeller, or its pulling air on the seal. and get a new radiator.

general maint. services for us involve replacing the water pump, hoses, and radiator before they blow out. PUT A NEW RADIATOR AND WATER PUMP ON IT.

i aint fucking around either, i say this from experience, not just from some numbnutted "enthusiast" but from someone that is in the trade, and has seen it.
Old 06-17-2007, 08:06 PM
Ultmte Drvn Machine

Cool beans brah.... I preciate that shit, finnaly someone that actually seems like they know what the fuck they are talkin about. Im gunna do that too since i have some extra mojo lyin around... Thanks dawgy fizzle, I'll holla at chu fo shizzle if my nizzle breaks down agizzle!
Old 06-28-2007, 07:04 PM
I work on S2K's

moparacker moparacker moparacker moparacker moparacker moparacker moparacker moparacker moparacker moparacker moparacker

If the car did overheat enough to blow the headgasket, better hope the head bolt threads in the block don't rip out...
Old 06-29-2007, 03:28 AM
corona connessuer

CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA

Originally Posted by fc735
put a new water pump on it, even if you have to pay for it.

i will bet five dollars to a fat mans ass that the pump has either sheared the impeller, or its pulling air on the seal. and get a new radiator.

general maint. services for us involve replacing the water pump, hoses, and radiator before they blow out. PUT A NEW RADIATOR AND WATER PUMP ON IT.

i aint fucking around either, i say this from experience, not just from some numbnutted "enthusiast" but from someone that is in the trade, and has seen it.
man i swear....you guys just arent going to let me answer on anything are you?
Old 06-29-2007, 08:39 AM
The Pro to call.

Originally Posted by CHAHONDA
man i swear....you guys just arent going to let me answer on anything are you?
you can have all the retarded ones about their VTACK not engaging!

Quick Reply: 1997 BMW 528i overheating