Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

1996 Honda Civic EX (D16Y8) Not starting. Details inside.

Old 01-23-2012, 06:53 PM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OhShift! OhShift! OhShift! OhShift! OhShift! OhShift! OhShift! OhShift! OhShift! OhShift! OhShift!
Default 1996 Honda Civic EX (D16Y8) Not starting. Details inside.

Car Info:

1996 Honda Civic EX, D16Y8 Motor OBD1.

162xxx Miles.

Battery and Alternator replaced within the last 3k miles.

Before today, car has had zero issues since I've owned it. Started up and ran every time, on the first try.

Today:

Drove car from NN to VA Beach and back, car started up on the trip there and return trip with no problems.
Drove from my house to the bank (10 minute drive), had zero problems. Car started up perfectly.

When I went to leave the bank is when the problem occurred. Got in the car, and went to start it like normal, dash lights came on, and I could hear the fuel pump prime. Problem? The motor didn't make a single bit of noise, didn't even attempt to turn over. I was in a rush, so I push started it and drove home.

When I got home I did the trick where you tap the starter while having someone turn the key, that did nothing. Checked and adjusted the connections, that did nothing. Swapped out the battery for the battery in my other Civic, and that as well did nothing. Double checked all the grounds, everything looked good.

I was able to quickly source a working starter, and swapped that in, again checking connections, grounds etc. I had zero luck.

I checked the starter/alt/ignition fuse and they all looked excellent. Tomorrow I plan on swapping a relay into the starter relay to check that.

My question is, based on what I have provided, can anyone think of any thing I've missed? Or overlooked?

Thanks.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:40 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Project "H" has disabled reputation
Default Re: 1996 Honda Civic EX (D16Y8) Not starting. Details inside.

Id try relays