Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

1996 EK Civic front driver squeaking/clunking sound problem

Old 06-10-2009, 07:00 PM
Sav
seriously...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sav Sav Sav Sav Sav Sav Sav Sav Sav Sav Sav
Default 1996 EK Civic front driver squeaking/clunking sound problem

I have a 1996 Civic DX hatchback with a weird squeaking sound accompanied with a clunking feeling when making left/right turns. The only suspension modifications done to the car are the Tein SS-P coilovers with the EDFC and a front CTR tower bar (the krinkle red painted one).

I will do my best to describe my situation/problem. The sound is coming from the driver side front wheel well, the sound can be produced either when parked or while driving when the front of car's suspension is under load or stress...for instance when the car is parked and I push the front of the driver side car down, it makes the sound of an old squeaky mattress. This same sound also occurs when taking sharp turns either left of right in parking lots or going over speed bumps and elevated ramps (such as going into a drive way or parking decks).

Along with this sound appears to be an awkward clunking feeling that is felt underneath the floor board or assumingly underneath the engine. It is the feeling that something is moving back-n-forth or side to side, this happens when I am making left and right turns (especially in parking lots.)

This sound occured after having rushed back home after forgetting something at work, when leaving, i promptly went down my drive way (which is basically a hill) quite briskly...and while I didnt hear any weird noises...I am sure something gave out.

I have since checked underneath my car and noticed that the inner side of my axle on my driver side was bad and flinging grease underneath the car...this has since been replaced...and I thought this would have fixed the problem...but the sound and clunking still are around. I have checked wheel bearings and tie rod ends and they seem to be good as well.

What could be the problem? As I stated before the only suspension modifications I have done are the SS-P Tein coilovers and CTR front tower bar...the car is as low as can be given what the Teins will allow and its on 15inch wheels...it is almost dumped.