Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

1994 Honda Civic VX Issue

Old 08-08-2013, 03:27 PM
-RepLegion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stevenstixx stevenstixx stevenstixx stevenstixx stevenstixx stevenstixx stevenstixx stevenstixx stevenstixx stevenstixx stevenstixx
Default 1994 Honda Civic VX Issue

Please close, issue still not resolved.

Last edited by stevenstixx; 08-25-2013 at 05:14 AM.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:22 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: 1994 Honda Civic VX Issue

It's possible that it's the same code and it's just flashing at different speeds on the different ECUs. That video you sent me could actually be a 1 instead of 10 but your ECU might just be flashing it slow and the LS ECU might be flashing it at the correct speed.... Something to think about.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:00 PM
-RepLegion

stevenstixx stevenstixx stevenstixx stevenstixx stevenstixx stevenstixx stevenstixx stevenstixx stevenstixx stevenstixx stevenstixx

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
It's possible that it's the same code and it's just flashing at different speeds on the different ECUs. That video you sent me could actually be a 1 instead of 10 but your ECU might just be flashing it slow and the LS ECU might be flashing it at the correct speed.... Something to think about.

I just replaced the Intake Air Temp Sensor this morning. So I will find out shortly if I receive the same code on my ecu. I also came across this,

Old 08-10-2013, 02:03 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

That kind of rings a bell in my head. The VX has a really strange O2 sensor that the other engines don't use, which is probably why a change in wiring is needed. Sounds promising though.
Old 08-10-2013, 03:58 PM
-RepLegion

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
That kind of rings a bell in my head. The VX has a really strange O2 sensor that the other engines don't use, which is probably why a change in wiring is needed. Sounds promising though.
Well I really appreciate all of your help and input!
Old 08-10-2013, 04:30 PM
Flatulence

PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov

Have you tested for power at the O2 sensor? What about continuity? The ls ecu is programmed to read different then the gsr ecu.

Measure the resistance on the O2 sensor and post here on what you find. You can have anything from a loose wire to a short somewhere. I know you mentioned you replaced the harness. Just because its a different engine harness, does not mean its good.
Old 08-10-2013, 04:47 PM
-RepLegion

Originally Posted by PicovAndropov
Have you tested for power at the O2 sensor? What about continuity? The ls ecu is programmed to read different then the gsr ecu.

Measure the resistance on the O2 sensor and post here on what you find. You can have anything from a loose wire to a short somewhere. I know you mentioned you replaced the harness. Just because its a different engine harness, does not mean its good.
Well the first time I received the code, I replaced the 02. Then after the code came back, I had Khent hook up his comp at honda. The 02 was reading 3.82 Volts steady and staying in Open Loop. It would not go into closed loop mode. Then I pulled out my engine harness where it appeared someone did a real nice hack job from converting to a 4 pin from a 5. The car acts like it wants to run rich on occasion and the check engine light comes on everyday like clock work!

I had no clue about the ECU difference! Thanks for that!
Old 08-10-2013, 05:21 PM
Registered Member

Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed

The O2 code has to becoming on because of something else. If your spark isn't right that could cause code 1, or you're not using good gas, maybe filter is old, you get what I'm saying. I don't know what you've done to the car or what someone else did, but this could easily be caused by lack of routine maintenance. With the O2 sensor, I leaned in aut166, if you're running lean the voltage should be closer to 0 volt, and if it's rich then it's should be closer to 1 volt. But that doesn't really matter if you can find a problem. I would recommend looking into spark and fuel. I'd also look for the range of your O2 so you can know what that 3 volt reading means.