Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

1994 Accord LS drivers window problems....

Old 10-17-2010, 07:28 PM
<----BigBake

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LXative LXative LXative LXative LXative LXative LXative LXative LXative LXative LXative
Default 1994 Accord LS drivers window problems....

Seems like a switch problem, but sometimes you can roll the window down....and later try to roll it up, and nothing will happen. It will randomly work again.....and when it goes up, it works fine. Are the switches the only things that tend to go bad? I'm don't have the car in front of me to take apart or check anything with a meter....but I will Wed. I am going to a yard Wed to get a window switch.....should I go ahead and replace the motor and/or regulator as well? Do they have any issues usually? Motor seems to work fine, when you can get the glass to move.

Just wanted to clarify if there was anything else worth looking into for replacing while I have it off. Do I need to get some adhesive or anything if I need to take the door panel off? Being the car is 16 years old, I'd fully expect to have to repair the door panel in some way or another....
Old 10-17-2010, 07:53 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: 1994 Accord LS drivers window problems....

If the window you're talking about is the driver's side door, then I would probably think the switch is wearing out from frequent use. The other possibilities are a harness problem, a motor problem, or whatever drives the motor (usually a relay in something like a body control unit). Luckily, if the behavior is frequent enough then you can poke around with a meter and see where you have power and where you don't. That's really the best and fastest thing to do, even though you may need to do a little dis-assembly to access what you need to check.

The only thing you may need for the door panel is some new plastic fir tree clips. They look like plastic pine trees, and the branches are barbs that go into the hole in the sheet metal and hold the panel in place. When the car is that old, usually the clips are a bit brittle and tend to either snap off completely or at least loose enough of the barbs that they don't hold tight anymore without rattling. You can usually get new ones from a dealer or a body shop supply place. You might be able to find some at a body shop if they're willing to sell or give you some, but usually they don't seem like they want to be bothered.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 10-17-2010 at 07:56 PM.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:12 PM
<----BigBake

LXative LXative LXative LXative LXative LXative LXative LXative LXative LXative LXative

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
If the window you're talking about is the driver's side door, then I would probably think the switch is wearing out from frequent use. The other possibilities are a harness problem, a motor problem, or whatever drives the motor (usually a relay in something like a body control unit). Luckily, if the behavior is frequent enough then you can poke around with a meter and see where you have power and where you don't. That's really the best and fastest thing to do, even though you may need to do a little dis-assembly to access what you need to check.

The only thing you may need for the door panel is some new plastic fir tree clips. They look like plastic pine trees, and the branches are barbs that go into the hole in the sheet metal and hold the panel in place. When the car is that old, usually the clips are a bit brittle and tend to either snap off completely or at least loose enough of the barbs that they don't hold tight anymore without rattling. You can usually get new ones from a dealer or a body shop supply place. You might be able to find some at a body shop if they're willing to sell or give you some, but usually they don't seem like they want to be bothered.
Cool......'preciate it, thats what I was looking for. I figured some door clips would be in order. I'll just have to hope it acts up on me when I sit down with the Fluke and the beer.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:42 AM
SPARKLEmotion

FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah

Originally Posted by Fabrik8

On point as usual. One more little thing; I'm assuming your accord is a four door (more common then 2drs). The 4dr's had "worm type" (wire driven guide) window regulators as opposed to the more common "scissor" type and are famous for rusting up and flaking metal in between the worm gear and main drive gear of the motor. All it takes is a little vibration to knock trash in and out from between the 2 gears, giving you the inconsistency your experiencing. Since it's so in-and-out and I'd bet you don't keep a multi-meter on hand, when the window "switch" starts acting up again, kill the radio and put your ear to the window gap in the door and press the button a few time's while listening for a slight wine from the motor. May save you some time and help you spend less time out in the colder weather we've had as of late.