Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

1994 Accord - Dash Lights But No Gauge Lights

Old 08-21-2011, 03:04 PM
YANKYMATE!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lbs_ft lbs_ft lbs_ft lbs_ft lbs_ft lbs_ft lbs_ft lbs_ft lbs_ft lbs_ft lbs_ft
Default 1994 Accord - Dash Lights But No Gauge Lights

So here's the issue: my little brother has an automatic 1994 Honda Accord and he does the mature and thing and drives the car like it was intended, all stock, no fart cannon, and so on an so forth.

His gauge lights went out recently, and I've taken it upon myself and the big-brains at VaDriven to find a solution. I did a little research on Google, but I don't like my brother enough to make an account on a fucking Honda forum, so this'll have to do.

His other dash lights work fine, climate control and radio, the gear selector lights on the gauge cluster light up when the headlights are on, as well as the turn signals / high beam lights and all that jazz, they work as well. Headlights, highbeams, turn signals, brake lights, reverse lights and license plate lights work fine too. Just not the speedometer, tach, gas gauge, temp gauge, and other completely necessary components.

I checked all the fuses under the driver's side kick panel, they're all good. My dad thought the issue was with something called an ICU that goes behind the kick panel above the fuses, so he dropped money on one from the dealer and I replaced it, but no change.

Anybody have any ideas? I can answer any questions to the best of my abilities, I'm just trying to make sure my brother's car is safe for him to drive at night and I'm trying to save him from taking it to a shop.

Thanks in advance
Old 08-21-2011, 05:27 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: 1994 Accord - Dash Lights But No Gauge Lights

So the gauges work fine, and it's just the gauge illumination that's the problem?
Old 08-21-2011, 05:34 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

You need to check at the fuse for power with a voltmeter, to see if the problem is before the fuse or after the fuse. A fuse that isn't blown doesn't really tell you much, because a functional circuit shouldn't blow the fuse in the first place. So if it's a poor connection at the cluster connector or something like that, the fuse is going to be perfectly fine.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:18 PM
YANKYMATE!

Alright, so check incoming power to the fuse, can do.

I thought about that, but usually that circuit contains the gauge lights / brake lights / license plate lights. I'll check it tomorrow and get back to you
Old 08-21-2011, 06:29 PM
Racetracks

Okay, if you're confident those other circuits are working, move to the gauge cluster connector and see if there is power there. You'll have to use a factory manual or find the pinout online somewhere.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:33 PM
YANKYMATE!

I know the brake lights / license plate lights are working, but I don't know if they're on the same circuit.

Isn't the connector inside the dash behind the cluster? If so, he might as well take it to a shop because I don't care that much about him hahaha
Old 08-21-2011, 06:47 PM
Racetracks

Yes, connector is behind the cluster. I'm assuming that the problem is probably isolated to the cluster illumination power, because the other parts of the illumination circuit (climate control, etc) are still working fine.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:49 PM
YANKYMATE!

you're probably right... maybe one weekend when my cars don't need to be worked on, he can buy me some beer and I'll tear stuff apart.

once again, thanks for the help!
Old 08-21-2011, 06:54 PM
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn

Make sure the dimmer dial is plugged in...its on the panel below the cluster...if its unplugged it won't complete the circuit
Old 08-21-2011, 06:55 PM
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn

You can POP it out with a small pick/screwdriver

Quick Reply: 1994 Accord - Dash Lights But No Gauge Lights