Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

1992 Colt/Mirage no spark

Old 02-09-2006, 11:42 AM
Petrochemaholic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ChuckLX has disabled reputation
Default 1992 Colt/Mirage no spark

I'm stumped on this one. It's a friend's car, and I wrench on mostly old Ford junk (I like everything, that's just what I've got) so I have ZERO diagnostic specs on this Mitsu/Dodge crossover beyond the coil.

Before he brought it to me:
-- Car randomly died on the highway
-- Towed to shop, restarted fine in shop parking lot
-- Raped by shop, $650+ for new OEM pump, screen & filter, plus plugs

We did replace the cap, rotor, and wires after he got it back, at the time we thought it was fixed. However, the car kept randomly dying on him, and is now stone dead in our parking lot at work.

What I know since I started working with it:
-- Cranks fine, no spark
-- Coil tests AOK (1.1ohm across primary, about 22Kohm across secondary if I remember right)
-- No sign of damage to coil or crankshaft position sensor leads
-- Coil leads -- one lead checks as a good ground, other lead shows no ground or voltage applied when ignition is on.
-- Computer is only a couple of years old, I replaced that for him when it died a while back, car had run like a top ever since.

Any thoughts? If it were Ford fuel injection, I'd probably have it fixed by now, but I have no diagnostic data at all on any of the Mitsu/Dodge sensors or system. I don't even know how to pull codes on this little guy. It'd be a shame to junk it, because it ran great right up until it cut off on him the first time, only has 120k on it. I'm stumped, so I'd welcome any help.

Thanks, all!
Old 02-09-2006, 02:10 PM
Registered Member

sprack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1992 Colt/Mirage no spark

just got done with a car with those same symptoms...was an early 90s plymouth...ended up being the crank sensor
Old 02-11-2006, 02:35 AM
❒Good ❒ Better ✔Best

HighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud of

take off the CAS and spin it around with the car's power turned to on (but don't crank the motor), and watch for spark.

if there's no spark, either the sensor is bad, or something in the ignition is bad.

unfortunately i don't remember mitsu distributor setup off the top of my head. if it were distributorless it'd be a lot easier for me to pinpoint
Old 02-22-2006, 07:26 AM
Petrochemaholic

ChuckLX has disabled reputation

Thanks guys -- turned out to be the CAS in the distributor. We pulled a distributor at the junkyard last week and had him up and running again for $25 or less, can't beat that ... I just hadn't had a chance to get back to the comp since.