VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Tech Talk (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/tech-talk-9/)
-   -   1991 Honda civic dx sedan *Fuse 14* (alternator solenoid valve) keeps popping!!! (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/tech-talk-9/1991-honda-civic-dx-sedan-%2Afuse-14%2A-alternator-solenoid-valve-keeps-popping-400025/)

Fabrik8 06-09-2011 03:59 PM

Re: 1991 Honda civic dx sedan *Fuse 14* (alternator solenoid valve) keeps popping!!!

Yes, you can test it like that. Just don't run it for very long because the pump relies on the fuel for impeller lubrication, etc.

I took a few minutes to research this, and it seems like people are having this problem with that fuse being related to the fuel pump. One guy had a bad pump, one guy had pinched wires during pump replacement, etc. You've replaced the pump, so you might want to check the wiring for shorts to ground. You can easily do that with that (problematic) fuse removed, using a multimeter to check resistance between the fuel pump power wire and the chassis and the ground wire for the pump.

You need to find out what is on that fused circuit.. There are two sides of the fuse obviously, the supply side (battery, etc) and the load side (the fuel pump or whatever). Power has to flow through the fuse if the fuse is blowing, so if you're constantly blowing that fuse the problem is somewhere on the load side of that circuit.

What this has to do with replacing the tires, I have no idea....

Fabrik8 06-09-2011 04:07 PM

Re: 1991 Honda civic dx sedan *Fuse 14* (alternator solenoid valve) keeps popping!!!

I'm digging around for a service manual with schematics, something is bugging me about this...

Fabrik8 06-09-2011 04:14 PM

Okay, so things on that #14 fuse:
  • PGM-FI ECU
  • fuel pump
  • emissions control solenoid valves
  • EACV
  • PGM-FI main relay
  • voltage regulator

By the way, I got the manual from here: http://hondatech.info/downloads/Auto/Manuals/Civic/

Fabrik8 06-09-2011 04:25 PM

So the #14 fuse is the only fuse for the fuel pump. It actually shouldn't be hard to determine whether this is a wiring problem or a device problem. If it's a device problem, unplugging the devices (fuel pump, EACV, voltage regulator, etc) should make the fuse NOT blow. If it's a wiring problem, the fuse will still blow with all the loads (devices) unplugged.

The ignition switch switches power directly to the #14 fuse, which is why the fuse is blowing as soon as you turn the key.

I'm still poking around in the schematics.

Do me a favor... Unplug the main relay and then see what happens. The fuel pump is the only load on the #14 fuse that goes through the main relay, and everything else is connected before the main relay. Unplugging the main relay will isolate everything on the fuel pump circuit after that point, so that may shed some light on things.

autocrossracer 06-09-2011 04:48 PM

hey I can help you with that, I do a lot of electrical work on cars, I am also very familiar with EF hondas which is your model, I have had lots civics/CRXs from 1988 to 1991, so i am pretty sure i can help you out. send me a PM with your personal info.... (Name, phone, location,_) and i will call you and we can meet up and ill help you out...

CHUBBS_09 06-10-2011 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by autocrossracer (Post 7158624)
hey I can help you with that, I do a lot of electrical work on cars, I am also very familiar with EF hondas which is your model, I have had lots civics/CRXs from 1988 to 1991, so i am pretty sure i can help you out. send me a PM with your personal info.... (Name, phone, location,_) and i will call you and we can meet up and ill help you out...

Theres just something creepy about this post

DORKO 06-10-2011 06:54 AM

Unplugged the MR and fuse didn't blow. Unplugged the alternator and the fuse didn't blow. Unplugged the eacv and the fuse didn't blow. Unplugged the fuelpump and the fuse didn't blow. These were all 1 at a time by the way. I dropped the tank agaidia checked for shorts to ground. I removed the entire fuelpump harness from the car and checked for crimped/damaged wires. I found nothing. I had a GM master tech come help diagnosethe problem. We isolated it to the pump or to the harness. With the fuel pump disconnected from the harness we had battery voltage on the harness side of the fuel pump. We also had battery voltage to the fuel level sending unit.(same plug)

Im lost.

DORKO 06-10-2011 07:02 AM

And I tested both pumps directly to the battery. Nothing happened. I don't get it

DORKO 06-10-2011 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by CHUBBS_09 (Post 7159831)
Theres just something creepy about this post

agreed lol

Laserjock 06-10-2011 07:13 AM

Your solution is here somewhere along with Fab's post.

You have to find the condition that blows the fuse and you will get it. So in other words, re-connect everything, start the car it blows the fuse, right? Now working from most probable to least cause, unplug 1 item, start the car, check condition of fuse. If fuse is good connect the item back in and move on to the next item until the fuse blows.

oh, btw lets meet up in a dark alley at 2AM. I gotsome really cheap fuses yo

Originally Posted by DORKO (Post 7159838)
Unplugged the MR and fuse didn't blow. Unplugged the alternator and the fuse didn't blow. Unplugged the eacv and the fuse didn't blow. Unplugged the fuelpump and the fuse didn't blow. These were all 1 at a time by the way. I dropped the tank agaidia checked for shorts to ground. I removed the entire fuelpump harness from the car and checked for crimped/damaged wires. I found nothing. I had a GM master tech come help diagnosethe problem. We isolated it to the pump or to the harness. With the fuel pump disconnected from the harness we had battery voltage on the harness side of the fuel pump. We also had battery voltage to the fuel level sending unit.(same plug)

Im lost.