VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Tech Talk (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/tech-talk-9/)
-   -   1991 Honda Civic DX hatch back brake lights and tail lights staying on please help (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/tech-talk-9/1991-honda-civic-dx-hatch-back-brake-lights-tail-lights-staying-please-help-472147/)

ghost33777 06-17-2013 11:18 PM

1991 Honda Civic DX hatch back brake lights and tail lights staying on please help

Hi guys. I'm new to this forum, actually new to all forums. But i have more than a few problems with my Honda and I'd really appreciate any help anyone could give. And I apologize if I've posted this in the wrong place, but like I said I'm new to this stuff.

I have a 1991 Honda Civic hatch back and I love the little car. Here recently my brake lights and my tail lights have been staying on. It just started out of no where. All of the other running lights work like their suppose to, but my brake lights and my running lights stay on even without the keys being in the ignition.

I asked a buddy that owns a garage what it might be and he said it could be that the brake censer could be bad. He told me if I unplugged it, and the lights went out then most likely that was it. Well I tried it, they cut off, but when i replaced the censer the lights stayed on.

I have no idea what to do. This is my only transportation back and forth to work, and i really can afford to get pulled over. Over a year ago I had an electrical problem that burnt up my wiring harness. I found a similar one that I put in, but one connector was too big and now I have no turn signals. I've been looking for another one, but I haven't been able to find one. My inspection sticker is over a year old, because I have no turn signals, and I've gotten four tickets so far for it. I'm afraid that if I get pulled for no brake lights, and they see that sticker, that they'll make me park the car. And I can't do that.

Any help would be very appreciated. And if anyone knows where I could find a wiring harness that would be grate. Thanks for any help in advance.

0bd2eg 06-18-2013 02:54 AM

Re: 1991 Honda Civic DX hatch back brake lights and tail lights staying on please hel

There is a little rubber stopper that is pushed into the brake pedal arm that operates the brake light switch. As these cars get older they get brittle and break off and allows the brake switch to remain closed keeping the lights on. You can use a penny and electrical tape to temporarily repair but the part is less than $5 at Honda. part # 46505-SA7-000

Edit, just read the rest of that long ass post. Go to advance auto parts get a repair manual, or take it to a shop and have them fix the turn signals. It will be cheaper than a ticket. Stop driving the damn thing with no turn signals. Is the car completely stock, if not stop spending money on shit that doesn't let other drivers know which way you intend to go. Why you felt it necessary to let vadriven know you were driving around with a bad inspection sticker is beyond me. Invitation to get flamed man. Hope you at least give hand signals.

hatchblack 06-18-2013 04:03 AM

Re: 1991 Honda Civic DX hatch back brake lights and tail lights staying on please hel

Originally Posted by 0bd2eg (Post 8163955)
There is a little rubber stopper that is pushed into the brake pedal arm that operates the brake light switch. $5 at Honda. part # 46505-SA7-000

ding ding ding

Fabrik8 06-18-2013 04:47 AM

You can find a harness for a 91 civic. Keep looking. Brake lights should be an easy fix, see replies above.

ghost33777 06-18-2013 10:27 PM

Well I already replaced the switch. I have a repair manual, and I was reading up on the issue. If I didn't have the switch adjusted right would that give me the same problem that I'm having?

And as far as taking it to a shop to get the signals fixed, I just don't have the money. If I could find the right harness then that wouldn't be a problem. I can do that myself.

And for the inspection sticker stuff, I really don't care. The cops give me hell as it is. But I don't have any other choice but to drive the car. I have no other transportation. I'd really like to get this thing fixed as soon as possible.

And thanks for the replies.

0bd2eg 06-19-2013 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by ghost33777 (Post 8164489)
Well I already replaced the switch. I have a repair manual, and I was reading up on the issue. If I didn't have the switch adjusted right would that give me the same problem that I'm having?

If there is nothing on the clutch pedal to depress the switch the adjustment doesn't matter. You adjust it to where the switch opens the circuit with the pedal at rest. Check for the pedal stop button like I said in my first post and get back to us AFTER you do and ask for more suggestions. No point in replying if you haven't.

Originally Posted by ghost33777 (Post 8164489)
And for the inspection sticker stuff, I really don't care. The cops give me hell as it is.

Why, do you drive like an asshat? Car Herra Frush and cops are tired of seeing sparks? Just trying to figure out why on top of the inspection sticker they give you hell.

Gen_Crunchytoes 06-19-2013 02:26 AM

what obd2eg said. little stopper in the brake pedal. happens all the time

Fabrik8 06-19-2013 03:27 AM

You should be able to manually actuate the switch (use your hand instead of the brake pedal) and see if the circuit works, regardless of whether that stopper is missing or not.

0bd2eg 06-19-2013 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by Fabrik8 (Post 8164533)
You should be able to manually actuate the switch (use your hand instead of the brake pedal) and see if the circuit works, regardless of whether that stopper is missing or not.

Come on man, you're gonna get his finger pinched, you know that you have to be explicit in your instructions to the Hondakids. Op plug the old switch back in without screwing it in then manually depress the button. Lights should go out when you do.

ghost33777 06-19-2013 04:09 PM

Thanks guys it worked.

Now I just need to find a harness. Or does anyone have any ideas how to wire the turn signals up so that it will pass inspection?