VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Tech Talk (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/tech-talk-9/)
-   -   1991 CRX not starting (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/tech-talk-9/1991-crx-not-starting-482551/)

cardana24 03-23-2014 04:53 PM

1991 CRX not starting

Hey guys, I have a 91 CRX HF. It is stock and has the d15 engine 5 speed transmission. Before this morning I had not had problems with it. I started the car this morning, and it ran for maybe two seconds then cut off, and would not re start. I sprayed some starting fluid in the throttle body and that did not change any thing, it would just turn over and not catch. So I tested for spark with my inline spark tester. I was getting spark and it was orange in color...so I assumed I could have a weak spark because of a worn coil, so I replaced the coil....and nothing changed. I have not done a compression test, but I really doubt I lost compression over night. Also, I removed the oil filler cap to to see valve spring/cam, and cranked the car and verified that things were moving, everything seemed fine so I don't think the timing belt broke. I checked my ecu for codes and the only code I am getting is "1", which from looking online I think that is a oxygen sensor code. What am I missing? Why would it not attempt to start if I am getting spark and a spray starting fluid down the throttle body? Thanks for any help.

Gen_Crunchytoes 03-23-2014 05:09 PM

Re: 1991 CRX not starting

first. thank you for actual posting a proper thread. really, thank you

did play with the timing at all? id pull the plugs and check them as well just to rule that out entirely

ej1995 03-23-2014 05:31 PM

I think you need to look into replacing the entire distributor. I have seen tons of D series give those same symptoms and the distributor be to blame. It is obvious that it is spark related from what you are describing, so swap in a new distributor, cap, and rotor.

cardana24 03-23-2014 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Gen_Crunchytoes (Post 8273626)
first. thank you for actual posting a proper thread. really, thank you

did play with the timing at all? id pull the plugs and check them as well just to rule that out entirely

I did not mess with the mechanical timing or the ignition timing. I'll pull the plugs when I get a chance and report back.

Originally Posted by ej1995 (Post 8273635)
I think you need to look into replacing the entire distributor. I have seen tons of D series give those same symptoms and the distributor be to blame. It is obvious that it is spark related from what you are describing, so swap in a new distributor, cap, and rotor.

Am I correct to assume that an orange spark is not great? I think I am supposed to get a blue spark from an engine that runs well. The only thing I checked with the distributor is that it turns when the car is cranking (to make sure the gear did not break off), and it does. What else can I do to check the distributor? My other vehicles are direct ignition and diesel so I am not super familiar with trouble shooting them

Fabrik8 03-23-2014 06:39 PM

Poke around on Google for pgmfi relay problems and see if that fits the symptoms you're having. Don't think its quite the same behavior that you're seeing..

cardana24 03-24-2014 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Fabrik8 (Post 8273659)
Poke around on Google for pgmfi relay problems and see if that fits the symptoms you're having. Don't think its quite the same behavior that you're seeing..

I looked into that a little bit. I'll need to find that relay and test it. Thanks for the advice.

ej1995 03-24-2014 06:42 PM

Orange spark is VERY weak spark. It should be blueish and jump a gap much larger than your spark plug gap.

89 cRiX Si 03-24-2014 07:05 PM

Pretty common for d series distributors to crap out... id try replacing that.

cardana24 03-25-2014 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by ej1995 (Post 8273930)
Orange spark is VERY weak spark. It should be blueish and jump a gap much larger than your spark plug gap.

That's what I have gathered. Now I just need to know what is causing the weak spark:) I tried to remove the ignition control module from the distributor last night but I stripped one of the screws because I was in a hurry. I was going to have it tested, but now I am just replacing the whole distributor. I just want to rule out a relay problem first. Would I be getting spark if the main relay is crapped out?

Originally Posted by 89 cRiX Si (Post 8273935)
Pretty common for d series distributors to crap out... id try replacing that.

Thanks for the advice, I would just like to pin point the problem before I start throwing parts at it. I have another engine for the car (d15z1) that I plan on swapping in, in a few months, I just don't have the time to do it right now, so I am hoping to keep this one kicking a little longer, but it does have 275k and it uses/leaks a quart or two of oil every 1k miles:)

89 cRiX Si 03-25-2014 03:45 PM

No problem... hope you get figured out. Let us know what the problem was after you fix it.