Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

1990 Honda Accord Hesitation/Missing at around 2k

Old 10-16-2006, 10:15 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Swampdonky has disabled reputation
Default 1990 Honda Accord Hesitation/Missing at around 2k

Hey, pretty wierd problem going on here. Okay my 90 honda accord will hesitate real bad when she gets up to around 2k-2.3k but if i get it past that part it will drive fine.. I lose all power when it gets there, so what i have to do is let off the gas then give it alot of gas to get past 2.3k just to get to the next gear (auto)..The wierd thing is, after about 20 mins on the interstate and im back in town, the problem goes away... Any ideas of what it could be? It only hesitates and acts up in this rpm range..
Old 10-17-2006, 02:29 PM
Registered Member

Default Re: 1990 Honda Accord Hesitation/Missing at around 2k

Okay I drove it again today, and when the check engine light comes on, the car drives fine, but when the light is off, the same symptoms above occur.. Im thinking its gotta be a sensor
Old 10-17-2006, 08:10 PM
Registered Member

MaxPower MaxPower MaxPower MaxPower MaxPower

I'm pretty sure it's your TPS. Get a shop to do a sweep on it for dead spots.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:03 AM
Registered Member

What voltage should the tps be reading at? Couldnt i just hook up a volt meter to the tps like i do for my mustang? And how much does a new tps run for these hondas?
Old 10-19-2006, 07:26 PM
Registered Member

A TPS has a 0-5v reference. You could do it with a DMM but to catch a dead spot with one takes a long time. If you know someone with a scope you could do it real quick. Your TPS should read real low voltage at first and slowly go up to a little below 5v as you press on the throttle.

Also I dont know how much a TPS cost for your car but you can google it and find your answer quick.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:06 PM
Registered Member

Ross is an unknown quantity at this point

Check to make sure your EGR ports are not clogged. disconect your egr vaccume hose and block it off. then drive it, if the problem does not happen again then that will tell you if your egr ports are clogged.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:39 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by PrecisionAuto
Check to make sure your EGR ports are not clogged. disconect your egr vaccume hose and block it off. then drive it, if the problem does not happen again then that will tell you if your egr ports are clogged.
EGR? NO. If you knew what an egr did then you would already know that.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:58 AM
Registered Member

Ross is an unknown quantity at this point

Apparently you are not aware that inter gas (such as the exhaust gas flow coming through the egr valve) is not combustible. On that model vehicle the egr ports in the intake manifold tend to clog. When this happens it will leave all of the exhaust gas going to one cylinder instead of distributing across all four. This will cause a miss fire / stumble situation and cause a lack of power. But then if you new more about what an egr does, what functions it serves, and what may happen when parts of the system are not working properly. Then you may have known that. The only reason I mentioned it, is due to the fact that I have had to fix several of these.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:49 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by PrecisionAuto
Apparently you are not aware that inter gas (such as the exhaust gas flow coming through the egr valve) is not combustible. On that model vehicle the egr ports in the intake manifold tend to clog. When this happens it will leave all of the exhaust gas going to one cylinder instead of distributing across all four. This will cause a miss fire / stumble situation and cause a lack of power. But then if you new more about what an egr does, what functions it serves, and what may happen when parts of the system are not working properly. Then you may have known that. The only reason I mentioned it, is due to the fact that I have had to fix several of these.

You should of said that then clogged, Clogged to me sounds like NO exhaust gas getting to the cylinders causeing your combustion chamber to reach temps over 2500F creating NOx. If you give an answer, give a little more detailed one next time and you wont be taken the wrong way.
Old 10-20-2006, 01:36 PM
Registered Member

teamlegacy has a reputation beyond reputeteamlegacy has a reputation beyond reputeteamlegacy has a reputation beyond reputeteamlegacy has a reputation beyond reputeteamlegacy has a reputation beyond reputeteamlegacy has a reputation beyond reputeteamlegacy has a reputation beyond reputeteamlegacy has a reputation beyond reputeteamlegacy has a reputation beyond reputeteamlegacy has a reputation beyond repute

O2 sensor. When I was running my base map [note: turbo car] it ran 100x better when the check engine light was on throwing the O2 sensor heater code. When it was off, the bitch stumbled and just felt like poop.

Also, make sure you've had a recent tune up. Plugs/wires/cap/rotor/fuel filter.

Quick Reply: 1990 Honda Accord Hesitation/Missing at around 2k