Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

1989 Civic Si - Shocks/Timing/Etc - 757 area

Old 02-02-2007, 03:30 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
incucrash has disabled reputation
Default 1989 Civic Si - Shocks/Timing/Etc - 757 area

Hello everyone!

I own a 1989 Civic Si - Stock with a Vibrant cat-back exhaust, it's a D16A6 engine, anyways I am wondering if anyone can shed some light or guide me in the right direction on the Shocks / Suspension system.

I'm 99% sure that this type of car and by looking at the shocks, they need to be compressed in order to remove the shock absorber. I got a price of $250 for the front, $250 for the back, seems very steep to me considering shock absorbers, even for the BEST ones money can buy are only about $60-80 each, and for good ones can run anywhere between $30-60, anyways...

Any options? Anyone have a favorite local shop that prices good, or that will take parts you order and install them just for the labor costs? Or if anyone thinks it's a good idea to tackle it myself if I rent/buy the compression tool? Please list phone numbers if you got a nice little shop in the hampton roads / 757 area so I can get these done... UNLESS! someone may think it's something else, basically the front tires hit the wheel well once in a while on tight turns at higher speeds, and the muffler tends to make contact with the ground with people in the back seat?

I was looking at getting WeaponR Coilovers, about $100 for all 4 shipped, but now I hear they can fail your inspection/be illegal, and they are a pain in the neck, but should I go ahead and get new springs while I'm getting all this done as well? :-)

I will also be getting the timing belt, water pump, cam seal done, all other belts, I was quoted $440 (from the checkered flag Honda Dealer) - Anyone think that is a rip off or seems about right?

Thanks VA :-)
Old 02-04-2007, 05:09 AM
Banned

89sihatch is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 1989 Civic Si - Shocks/Timing/Etc - 757 area

yo man i could most likely help you with all that shit for cheap if you have a warm place to do it at pm me and we can talk i been working on car for 8 years now and have put numerous timing belts and coilover kits on soo hit me up if interrested. and btw you can take the old springs off without compressing them there is not as much tension on them as you think.
Old 02-04-2007, 05:40 AM
Sumospeed #O.G.

SlowLS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 1989 Civic Si - Shocks/Timing/Etc - 757 area

PM'd