Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

1987 gmc s15 power loss/cuts off

Old 06-27-2007, 05:18 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WillRace4Food is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 1987 gmc s15 power loss/cuts off

I just bought an 87' gmc s15 truck with the 2.8L v6 throttle body injected motor with only 30k miles on it. I was driving it fine for about 3 days and just yesterday it started giving me trouble. It starts and idles fine but when you go to drive it starts to lose power and eventually shuts off. The catalyic converter is running really hot and I tried to take it out last night to "fix" that issue but its rusted to the pipe. I'm starting to think the cat isn't all the problem since the car idles fine until you try to drive it. The thing is throttle body injected something I know very little about but it seems like a possible fuel starvation problem any help would be appreciated. Thnx -Rob-
Old 06-27-2007, 09:32 AM
corona connessuer

CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA
Default Re: 1987 gmc s15 power loss/cuts off

Originally Posted by WillRace4Food
I just bought an 87' gmc s15 truck with the 2.8L v6 throttle body injected motor with only 30k miles on it. I was driving it fine for about 3 days and just yesterday it started giving me trouble. It starts and idles fine but when you go to drive it starts to lose power and eventually shuts off. The catalyic converter is running really hot and I tried to take it out last night to "fix" that issue but its rusted to the pipe. I'm starting to think the cat isn't all the problem since the car idles fine until you try to drive it. The thing is throttle body injected something I know very little about but it seems like a possible fuel starvation problem any help would be appreciated. Thnx -Rob-
sounds to me like your coverter is clogged up. when its cold does it run ok? you either need to replace the converter or remove it. removing it will make you fail inspection though. cut it off and drive down the road and see how it runs.yes it will be very loud.....but im sure that it will run fine though. what happened to the old motor?
Old 06-27-2007, 09:59 AM
Registered Member

sprack is on a distinguished road

where in yorktown are you located?

i have some free time later today to help
Old 06-30-2007, 05:57 AM
Registered Member

WillRace4Food is an unknown quantity at this point

Thnx for the info guys. I actually think the gas in the tank had been sitting too long b/c I drained it and put some 93 octane and some booster in there and it seems to run ok now. I took it to my friends shop to get the fuel system cleaned out and he should know something for sure today. I'm gonna see if he can pull the cat for me so I can make sure that doesn't become on issue or just in case it was the issue. Thnx again I'll keep you posted if the problem persists.