Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

10% Ethanol

Old 05-10-2006, 04:10 PM
I drive a coupe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR)
Default 10% Ethanol

Alright, I have been puzzled as to why my car was running so dangerously lean after I put the turbo kit back on it. But now I realize that it is the ethanol in the gas that is throwing my A/F ratio into the lean zone.

What do I need to do to make my car run right? I really would like to avoid burning holes in my pistons under boost pressure... I am wondering if there is some kind of addative that I can use to richen the mixture a little bit...

Apparently this is a common problem, my friends check engine light came on in his stock civic and it gave him the same "system too lean" code I am throwing...

Any suggestions? Is anybody else having the same problem?
Old 05-10-2006, 04:19 PM
Your Local DSM Tech

Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD
Default Re: 10% Ethanol

im going to suggest something unreal..... tune the car
Old 05-10-2006, 04:21 PM
I drive a coupe

Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR)

I am on a budget until I finish school... I have to make due with what I have, and I am planning on tuning as soon as I can save up enough money...

This is why I am asking for some kind of addative... Because tuning is not in the cards for me right now...
Old 05-10-2006, 04:22 PM
Bitches get Stitches

sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike

retard ignition timing a couple of degress if you're broke and cant tune it.
Old 05-10-2006, 04:22 PM
f*ck a b series

slo_rex has disabled reputation

buy better gas or put an octane booster in it i dont have problems with pump gas in my turbo crx so i think a tune would be the best or at least put bigger injectors in it
Old 05-10-2006, 04:23 PM
I drive a coupe

Alright, I will try retarding a few more degrees...
Old 05-10-2006, 04:38 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

You've got other problems I think. Ethanol won't make the car run lean, the ethanol is blended so the end result is the same octane rating as standard gas, and you shouldn't notice a difference. Most ECUs are more than capable of running on ethanol blends with no adjustment necessary.
I've been using ethanol blended gas here in CO for almost a year with no problems. It's been in use here for years.

I might recommend resetting the ECU though, so it can recal itself with the different gas blend.
Old 05-10-2006, 05:45 PM
Registered Member

sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
You've got other problems I think. Ethanol won't make the car run lean, the ethanol is blended so the end result is the same octane rating as standard gas, and you shouldn't notice a difference. Most ECUs are more than capable of running on ethanol blends with no adjustment necessary.
I've been using ethanol blended gas here in CO for almost a year with no problems. It's been in use here for years.

I might recommend resetting the ECU though, so it can recal itself with the different gas blend.
It doesn't matter what the octane is. With ethanol you need to run more fuel period. The stoich ratio for ethanol is much lower than normal petrol and more gas will need to be used. Although one thing I have noticed is that this new 10% blend does not throw lambda values off to any noticable degree. I've tested it on 2 cars recently and there wasn't much notable difference between that and normal gas. Normal gas has had some ethanol in it for a while anyways. That being said though...if you were to run straight ethanol in your car then you would need larger injectors and you would need to remap the entire fuel map to run more fuel.
Old 05-10-2006, 05:46 PM
Registered Member

sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue

Originally Posted by Hatch Man(GsR)
Alright, I have been puzzled as to why my car was running so dangerously lean after I put the turbo kit back on it. But now I realize that it is the ethanol in the gas that is throwing my A/F ratio into the lean zone.

What do I need to do to make my car run right? I really would like to avoid burning holes in my pistons under boost pressure... I am wondering if there is some kind of addative that I can use to richen the mixture a little bit...

Apparently this is a common problem, my friends check engine light came on in his stock civic and it gave him the same "system too lean" code I am throwing...

Any suggestions? Is anybody else having the same problem?
The ethanol isn't your problem. If you cant afford to tune the car properly then dont turbo the car. You'll just end up paying more in the long run.
Old 05-10-2006, 05:54 PM
its just a GSR

cmeGTsme is an unknown quantity at this point

get a fpr

Quick Reply: 10% Ethanol