Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

05 Tiburon Gear Slipping?

Old 12-22-2011, 02:26 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OneWithTheShark has disabled reputation
Default 05 Tiburon Gear Slipping?

I'd ask this on NewTiburon.com but the mods who run it are to say the least, @55holes.

This problem has been going on now for about half a year and progressively gotten worse. I'd had the transmission fluid flushed, as far as I'm aware of, the timing belt has been replaced before I bought it. It only does is "sometimes". What happens is, when shifting from 2nd to 3rd, it will hesitate a bit, rev up a little and then shift.

It's a 4spd auto with shift tronic btw.

Any ideas?
Old 12-22-2011, 02:54 PM
Havoc

Sun Wukong Sun Wukong Sun Wukong Sun Wukong Sun Wukong Sun Wukong Sun Wukong Sun Wukong Sun Wukong Sun Wukong Sun Wukong
Default Re: 05 Tiburon Gear Slipping?

Originally Posted by OneWithTheShark
I'd ask this on NewTiburon.com but the mods who run it are to say the least, @55holes.

This problem has been going on now for about half a year and progressively gotten worse. I'd had the transmission fluid flushed, as far as I'm aware of, the timing belt has been replaced before I bought it. It only does is "sometimes". What happens is, when shifting from 2nd to 3rd, it will hesitate a bit, rev up a little and then shift.

It's a 4spd auto with shift tronic btw.

Any ideas?
How many miles are on this piece of shit? It's only 6 years old. And who the fuck still make 4speed autos? Maybe the computer is just indecisive and is really bad at picking when to up and downshift like most auto's in piece of shit cars.
Old 12-22-2011, 03:24 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

My brain got stuck when I tried to figure out why a timing belt would affect an automatic transmission.
Old 12-22-2011, 03:27 PM
Havoc

Sun Wukong Sun Wukong Sun Wukong Sun Wukong Sun Wukong Sun Wukong Sun Wukong Sun Wukong Sun Wukong Sun Wukong Sun Wukong

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
My brain got stuck when I tried to figure out why a timing belt would affect an automatic transmission.
Duh! the timing of his transmission shifting is off! I thought you were smart
Old 12-22-2011, 05:14 PM
Registered Member

Aprox 90k miles. The guy who owned before me was a mechanic. He claimed he did regular maintenance on the piece of shit like it was a religion. And I mentioned the timing belt because to my knowledge it's what powers the transmission. I could be wrong, after all, I never said I was a mechanic myself.

Originally Posted by Sun Wukong
How many miles are on this piece of shit? It's only 6 years old. And who the fuck still make 4speed autos? Maybe the computer is just indecisive and is really bad at picking when to up and downshift like most auto's in piece of shit cars.
Also, I'm not an expert on this but based on the homework I've done on "sequential shifting" (I do believe that's the technical term for Shift Tronic), all you're doing is manually pulling a lever or something somewhere to make it shift, I missed the part where the computer takes over unless the RPM's are getting too low, then it shifts down for you. But I always keep it in manual mode so I was unaware the computer is doing all the decision making.

Last edited by OneWithTheShark; 12-22-2011 at 05:18 PM.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:45 PM
Registered Member

maxtuned has disabled reputation

Rebuild your hydro transmission gears. Duh! common problem with Tiburons. Take it to the mechanic and tell him that. They'll know.

Last edited by maxtuned; 12-22-2011 at 05:48 PM.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:12 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by maxtuned
Rebuild your hydro transmission gears. Duh! common problem with Tiburons. Take it to the mechanic and tell him that. They'll know.
If you don't mind, so I learn from this, what are they and why would that be the problem? I've never heard of hydro transmission gears.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:13 PM
Reporting FS Threads

E.Honda E.Honda E.Honda E.Honda E.Honda E.Honda E.Honda E.Honda E.Honda E.Honda E.Honda

Blast it with piss
Old 12-22-2011, 06:17 PM
Registered Member

maxtuned has disabled reputation

If you don't mind, so I learn from this, what are they and why would that be the problem? I've never heard of hydro transmission gears.
Just take it to a transmission shop. To be honest, you won't get much help here. Your car will need to be diagnosed by a professional.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:23 PM
Registered Member

Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed

I mentioned the timing belt because to my knowledge it's what powers the transmission.
Newbs always post ridiculous stupidity. My sig for now.

Quick Reply: 05 Tiburon Gear Slipping?