Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

04 vw passat manual trans help

Old 09-08-2011, 10:00 PM
jss
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jss has disabled reputation
Default 04 vw passat manual trans help

I've tried to search and I don't have many sources for vw's nor do I know much about them or transmissions. So I'm asking for my friend who has an 04 passat. It's a 5spd 1.8t with 4motion w/ 85k miles. I driven it before and noticed trying to put it in 1st it would act like it went in but you can feel that it didn't really.. (like my civic sometimes does in reverse..) I didn't think a lot of it and tonight when I was driving it again I noticed that without the clutch pressed in at all (sitting at a light in neutral) when you just put the shifter up to 1st (not touching the clutch and just holding the gear selector there)it doesn't let the car just slip into gear but it acts like its engaging the engine and slows the rpm a little and can start pushing the car.. I'm sorry I can't describe things very well it's hard to explain. I was wondering if it could mean something might be faulty or starting to fail.. any help is greatly appreciated
Old 09-09-2011, 03:03 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: 04 vw passat manual trans help

I don't understand. Why are you trying to put the transmission into first without depressing the clutch?
Old 09-09-2011, 04:31 AM
jss
Registered Member

jss has disabled reputation

No I wasn't really trying to like engage the gear and I wasn't pressing hard on it.. I usually press it up against 1st then push in the clutch till I feel first go in so I know where the engaging point is and I can come from a stop with less of rev it up kindof approach. I don't know if anyone else does that but I do that whenever I'm driving someone else's car and it helps me drive a different car smoother. That's all I was doing.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:49 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by jss
No I wasn't really trying to like engage the gear and I wasn't pressing hard on it.. I usually press it up against 1st then push in the clutch till I feel first go in so I know where the engaging point is and I can come from a stop with less of rev it up kindof approach. I don't know if anyone else does that but I do that whenever I'm driving someone else's car and it helps me drive a different car smoother. That's all I was doing.
What you're describing has nothing to do with coming away from a stop sign. You can feel the clutch engage using the clutch pedal, you don't need to try and engage the gear while depressing the clutch until the clutch unloads the transmission and then allows the gear to engage. I'd hate to be the owner of the car if that's how you're treating it.

How long have you been driving, and is the first car you've driven with a manual transmission?
Old 09-12-2011, 03:47 AM
Registered Member

maxtuned has disabled reputation

Bad Syncro, replace whole transmission.