Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

02 Escape - Sloppy Steering

Old 08-08-2011, 05:48 AM
Zombies found Waldo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie
Default 02 Escape - Sloppy Steering

I am trying to diagnose some suspension issues. The problem is when I go over small bumps around curves on the interstate the car seems to float to the left or right. The steering wheel feels like it wants to pull to to the left going around a right curve and vice versa and I have to correct the wheel. lt kinda feels a little like hydroplaning. I also have a popping or clunking noise over bumps.

Struts maybe? I have already replaced the pathetic OEM sway bar end links in hopes it was the bushings, and it did nothing.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:50 AM
Registered Member

Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy.
Default Re: 02 Escape - Sloppy Steering

I would check the struts, will give it a floaty feeling. The pulling and steering over a bump could be the tie rods going bad.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:56 AM
NAZI mod

BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER

Struts. My r32 is doing it right now, and them shits are FUCKED. Replace the struts and the ball joints as well while your at it.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:02 AM
Zombies found Waldo

buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie

Originally Posted by REDROCKETEER
I would check the struts, will give it a floaty feeling. The pulling and steering over a bump could be the tie rods going bad.
Is there a way to check these?

Originally Posted by Lord-Humongous
Struts. My r32 is doing it right now, and them shits are FUCKED. Replace the struts and the ball joints as well while your at it.
Thanks
Old 08-08-2011, 06:03 AM
Registered Member

Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy.

Lift it up with a jack and move the wheels with your hands left and right. See if there is any play in them.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:16 AM
Hannibal bitches

greencoug greencoug greencoug greencoug greencoug greencoug greencoug greencoug greencoug greencoug greencoug

Not sure if Escapes have them, but I was thinking the pitman arm. Mine is pretty worn on my Excursion, but it has crossover steering due to the Dana 60 in the front. Does the wheel have a bit of play in it when moving it back and forth?
Old 08-08-2011, 08:07 AM
Zombies found Waldo

Yeah it does, and there is a light clunking sound when moving back and forth.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:18 AM
Cool Hwhip

patrickr86 is a splendid one to beholdpatrickr86 is a splendid one to beholdpatrickr86 is a splendid one to beholdpatrickr86 is a splendid one to beholdpatrickr86 is a splendid one to beholdpatrickr86 is a splendid one to beholdpatrickr86 is a splendid one to beholdpatrickr86 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by buugiewuugie
Yeah it does, and there is a light clunking sound when moving back and forth.

Check for worn outter tie-rods. When they go bad they can make a slight popping noise when turning the wheel back and fourth. They can also cause numerous problems with steering being that they are the direct link between the rack and spindle.