Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

02 Acura TL TYPE S shift problems and check engine light after getting warmed up

Old 01-20-2013, 04:00 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
widebody91hatch has disabled reputation
Default 02 Acura TL TYPE S shift problems and check engine light after getting warmed up

Ok here goes...

I have an 02 TL Type S with 106k on it. I bought the car when it had 98k on it at which time i changed the tranny fluid with genuine honda fluid(dw-1 if i remember correctly). I havent had a lick of issues with it until last week. When starting from cold it drives just fine and shifts like butter but after about 10 minutes of driving or so it acts up. I noticed it today when trying to diagnose the problem. It drove just fine until i got into 5th gear getting on the interstate at which time the check engine light came on so i got off the interstate and when i came to the first stop sign it downshifted like it normally would but when i pulled off it didn't shift right... it seemed to slip if i tried to accelerate normally but if i accelerated slowly it did shift. when I got home i hooked my MODIS up to it and it threw a p0700 and a p0740. I am thinking it is either the torque converter clutch solenoid of maybe shift solenoid c but with my lack of knowledge when it comes to automatic transmissions I am kinda stumped. Any ideas or anybody else have this kind of problem?
Old 01-20-2013, 06:19 PM
RevTek

calisol calisol calisol calisol calisol calisol calisol calisol calisol calisol calisol
Default Re: 02 Acura TL TYPE S shift problems and check engine light after getting warmed up

its showing early signs of going out. from your description and changing the trans fluid recently it sounds like what happened with my 02 tl-s. its very common.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:38 AM
Successis99%failure

Slosupra Slosupra Slosupra Slosupra Slosupra Slosupra Slosupra Slosupra Slosupra Slosupra Slosupra
Default Re: 02 Acura TL TYPE S shift problems and check engine light after getting warmed up

Yup your trans is going out common problem with that generation tl's and cl's
Old 01-25-2013, 02:52 PM
Registered Member

widebody91hatch has disabled reputation

you guys are right the tranny finally shit the bed last night and now it has no gears at all... time to rebuild or replace thanx anyway for your help