Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

01 BMW 325i Rear Vibration?!?!

Old 01-12-2013, 12:19 PM
Grippin the Grain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
importfanatic importfanatic importfanatic importfanatic importfanatic importfanatic importfanatic importfanatic importfanatic importfanatic importfanatic
Default 01 BMW 325i Rear Vibration?!?!

What's good 'Driven? I have an 01 BMW 325i with an intermittent loud humming noise from the rear (primarily the passenger rear). The car just recently began to make the noise after I had a blow out on the passenger rear. I swapped my spare tire on (OE size) and the noise started shortly thereafter. After replacing both my rear tires, the noise is still there. It comes and goes and doesn't seem to be mph or rpm related, it's just seems to be at random. I've had the rear lower control arms replaced as well (bushings were bad), and obviously that didn't help either (didn't expect it to). The noise seems to be growing in intensity but I still can't pinpoint the issue. I figured if it was a wheel bearing/axle the noise would be consistent, maybe I'm wrong. I just need some input before this turns into a money pit...and nobody likes money pits. Lemme know whatcha got.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:02 PM
its just a website

couped couped couped couped couped couped couped couped couped couped couped
Default Re: 01 BMW 325i Rear Vibration?!?!

recent alignment? sounds to me if you confirm not a bad wheel bearing its probably rear toe out cause chopped rear tires which will make that loud noise..
those beemers are famous for that..
Old 01-12-2013, 03:54 PM
Grippin the Grain

importfanatic importfanatic importfanatic importfanatic importfanatic importfanatic importfanatic importfanatic importfanatic importfanatic importfanatic

Tires had no unusual wear before I aligned it. Just aligned it after I installed the lower control arms. The sound is intermittent, so I'm ruling out tires.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:12 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Wheel bearings will often tend to be frequency and load dependent, so may not behave the same way all the time. Does it change when you go around corners?

If its a wheel bearing, it will start to make noise all the time as it gets increasingly worn.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:14 AM
Grippin the Grain

I haven't heard the noise while cornering. Normally when the noise occurs it only lasts for about 3-5 seconds tops. I'm leaning more towards the wheel bearing over the axle. Moving back to VA at the beginning of the month, so I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on the hub assembly before taking the trip.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:52 PM
I H8 MY CAR

FLiPrayZin240sx FLiPrayZin240sx FLiPrayZin240sx FLiPrayZin240sx FLiPrayZin240sx FLiPrayZin240sx FLiPrayZin240sx FLiPrayZin240sx FLiPrayZin240sx FLiPrayZin240sx FLiPrayZin240sx

Did you check the rear shock tower? From what I've read, its pretty common on E46s.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:37 PM
Grippin the Grain

No offense, but I've never heard of shocks/struts or the mounts vibrating a day in my life. Besides, shock/strut problems are RARELY intermittent.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:57 PM
Super Secret Agent

Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer

it's hard to say without being able to hear it in person. did they check the condition of the trailing arms and bushings when they replaced the control arms? could be a wheel bearing, you can't necessarily hear them all the time when they're in the early stages of going bad.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:32 AM
sky's the limit

snarf snarf snarf snarf snarf snarf snarf snarf snarf snarf snarf

diff mount bushing/guibo maybe?
Old 01-25-2013, 10:20 AM
Forcibly Repped

Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu

I'll second that, it sounds like the guibo to me

Quick Reply: 01 BMW 325i Rear Vibration?!?!