VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Tech Talk (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/tech-talk-9/)
-   -   00 Impala - Horn blares in reverse (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/tech-talk-9/00-impala-horn-blares-reverse-484814/)

buugiewuugie 06-29-2014 05:23 PM

00 Impala - Horn blares in reverse

I just got an impala. It's a 2000. The problem I am having is when i put the car in reverse the horn goes off, it's constant with no breaks and doesn't stop while the car is in reverse. The strange thing is, when I turn on the headlights, the horn stops. So, as long as I turn on the headlights before I shift into reverse, everything is fine. But of course I'd like to fix the issue. For now I have pulled the horn fuse.

I have already pulled off the steering column plastic and all the wires seem fine.

Any ideas why this might be happening? I posted on the impala forums but no one has ever heard of this issue it seems.

Fabrik8 06-29-2014 06:39 PM

Re: 00 Impala - Horn blares in reverse

Aftermarket car alarm or remote start?

Putting the car in reverse will turn on the reverse lights, and I'm wondering if that has anything to do with the headlights making the problem stop. Probably not, but it started me thinking about common parts of the system that could cause this...

So if you've unplugged the horn fuse and the problem stops, that narrows down the parts of the circuit where the problem could be. I'd have to see the schematics to make sense of where this could be happening...

DOOM 06-29-2014 06:45 PM

Could be the BCM, state/government gave me a 2004 impala work veichle that was plagued by BCM issues. It caused the car to do all types of weird shit daily.

keefboz 06-30-2014 12:21 AM

I real lifed LOL'd thinking about your reaction when you put it in reverse for the first time.

buugiewuugie 06-30-2014 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by Fabrik8 (Post 8298288)
Aftermarket car alarm or remote start?

Putting the car in reverse will turn on the reverse lights, and I'm wondering if that has anything to do with the headlights making the problem stop. Probably not, but it started me thinking about common parts of the system that could cause this...

So if you've unplugged the horn fuse and the problem stops, that narrows down the parts of the circuit where the problem could be. I'd have to see the schematics to make sense of where this could be happening...

No aftermarket alarm or remote start. I'll see if I can dig up the schematics today. They are all over the internet, and I have seen them, just no idea what I am looking at or for. I forgot to mention that the radio and odometer went blank. But that was with the hazard flasher unplugged. I forgot to look if it did this with it plugged in. I'll check that today.

Originally Posted by DOOM (Post 8298294)
Could be the BCM, state/government gave me a 2004 impala work veichle that was plagued by BCM issues. It caused the car to do all types of weird shit daily.

I thought about that. I am going to call the dealer to today to see how much it would cost to reprogram the BCM. The part is $100 if I buy it myself. $400 through them. But I don't want to go that far yet.

Originally Posted by keefboz (Post 8298325)
I real lifed LOL'd thinking about your reaction when you put it in reverse for the first time.

My wife did. She thought it was hilarious.

DOOM 06-30-2014 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by buugiewuugie (Post 8298331)

I thought about that. I am going to call the dealer to today to see how much it would cost to reprogram the BCM. The part is $100 if I buy it myself. $400 through them. But I don't want to go that far yet.

Id look up all the symptoms, flickering cluster lights, random ass clicking, gauges not working etc etc.

Wish I could have saved my daily vehicle inspection/checklist sheets and what I wrote on them daily. Shocked I didn't get fired for em lol.

ufctapout 06-30-2014 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by keefboz (Post 8298325)

lmao me too

In HS we tried to think of best ways to rig someone's car to ensure they get beat up during fits of road rage.

Best I could think of was rigging someone's brights and horn to both come on any time the brakes were applied. Lots of entertainment at every red light and stop sign.

ej1995 06-30-2014 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by ufctapout (Post 8298397)
lmao me too

In HS we tried to think of best ways to rig someone's car to ensure they get beat up during fits of road rage.

Best I could think of was rigging someone's brights and horn to both come on any time the brakes were applied. Lots of entertainment at every red light and stop sign.

the horn alone would suffice and could easily be done in about 2 minutes.

buugiewuugie 06-30-2014 06:48 PM

It looks like it was and is a bad ground. The ground terminal post was stripped and would not tighten all the way down in the battery. Also the ground wire closest to the battery was very loose. the bolt was stripped and also would not tighten down. I used a self tapping screw to tighten it down. We tested it with my buddies battery and side post bolt from his camaro. So I am picking up new posts and battery tomorrow.

So now the horn only goes off with the park lights on when in reverse. LOL must be another ground issue somewhere. I can't imagine a difference in battery size making a difference?