VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Offroad / 4x4 (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/offroad-4x4-47/)
-   -   XJ Lift (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/offroad-4x4-47/xj-lift-392644/)

TRU 04-15-2011 03:36 PM

XJ Lift

I was looking into two lifts for the XJ. Since this is my first 4x4, let alone one that I'll be lifting, I had some questions to those familiar with these vehicles. I was looking at the Rusty's 3" Spring Pack Kit and the Iron Rock 3" kit.

The Iron Rock includes:
3" Lift Front Coil Springs
Rear 2.5" Lift Add-a-Leaf Kit with Centering Pins and Clamps
Hydro Shocks
Transfer Case Drop Kit
Extended Front Sway Bar Links
Rear Brake Line Drop Bracket
All Necessary Hardware

Rusty's includes:
Front 3" coil springs
Rear 3" Leaf Springs
Front hydro preformance shocks
Rear hydro prformance shocks
Rear brake line extension kit
Grade 8 U-Bolts

The Iron Rock has 200lb rate front springs (I'll be using a Logans 4x4 front bumper and winch) and the Rusty's has 180lb. Iron Rock has add a leafs though, where the Rusty's has full leaf kit. I suppose I would have to add extended front sway bar links to the Rusty's kit? Not worried about the Transfer case drop kit, I can get one from Rusty's for cheap since their kit does not include it.

I guess my question is will the 180lb vs. 200lb front spring rate really matter? I think the Rusty's is a better deal but I'm not familiar with these jeeps and would prefer to spend the money and get a better kit if the Rustys or Iron Rock are junk.

OverEasy 04-15-2011 04:21 PM

Re: XJ Lift

As far as IRO, they are who I will be doing business with in the near future. I've got several friends that run their complete lifts and love them, haven't had any problems. I've also had first hand experience watching their stuff on the trail. Good stuff IMO.

I'm still deciding between these two...
http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch...egory_Code=PFX
or
http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch...egory_Code=PFX

With the Rusty's stuff, I can't say the same. I only know of one person who has something from them. He swapped out the rears because he said they rode stiff and wouldn't flex, even after break in. Also, that's a complaint I hear pretty often from their stuff. Well that, and that the fronts sag bad over time. But that's neither here or there... I haven't purchased from them and only know one guy w/ their stuff.

Good luck w/ your decision. If you happen to go the Rusty's way, please post up about it.

Brandons96 04-16-2011 05:21 AM

x2 on Iron Rock's stuff. Their springs are super flexy without being too terrible on the road. The only thing you guys might have trouble with is the rear springs sagging over time. I'll try to find the picture but my buddy put that 3" kit on about two years ago and the rear AAL's only lasted about a year and a half till the sagged 3/4". But who's stopping you from going to the junkyard and robbing some extra leafs off a Waggy or Explorer/older F150.. ((IIRC you guys have 2.5" wide springs))

TRU 04-16-2011 11:43 AM

That's why I was looking at the Rusty's as well. They have 180lb front springs. I really want the 4" lift from Iron Rock, but sagging springs is unacceptable to me. Did you buddy have their whole spring pack or the add a leaf?

Brandons96 04-16-2011 11:58 AM

I'm pretty sure it was the 'Long' style AAL's, not sure if it was one or two leaves per side.

But a saggy leaf pack is probably one of the easiest things to cure; find out how wide your springs are and go to the junkyard and steal a leaf or two from each side of a pickup. Older F150's 80's/early 90's are a pretty popular choice for 2.5" wide springs, Chevys and Dodges for 3". Or you could get some lift shackles, I'm not sure how the rear leafs mount on an XJ, so that may or may not be a possibility.

TRU 04-16-2011 11:59 AM

Most of the kits come with 2.5" add a leaf and 1.5" shackles.

Brandons96 04-16-2011 12:02 PM

Ah..
Well if you lose some lift after a while like he did, custom fab some longer shackles to make up for it :p

OverEasy 04-16-2011 09:55 PM

The AAL will sag over time, it's just a single added in leaf. The spring packs that friends have ran from IRO haven't noticed sag at all from their lifts.

Also, if your looking for a cheaper kit that's exactly what your going to get. You honestly do get what you pay for.

TRU 04-17-2011 08:18 AM

I know, I'm willing to pay, I just didn't know which kit was best. If substituting for the full leafs will make it no sag, I will do that for the 4" lift.

Now onto front spring rates. The 4" lift apparently has a 150lb spring rate which will probably squat with bumper and winch. Anybody have any experience with spring rates with heavy bumpers?

OverEasy 04-17-2011 02:23 PM

Subbing out for the full springs is the better way to go imo anyway you look at it. You're putting a whole new spring pack in there rather than just adding a 'helper' spring.

As far as the rates go, get the stronger rating ones if you will be adding a winch and bumper. You go with the softer one it's gonna sag more than the stronger ones. Both will still break in though and flex fine (if that's what you're worried about). I'd stick w/ the full leaf pack and the 200lb springs for the front. Also, if you order through IRO, they will custom put together a system for you. IIRC a friend was asking the same thing and called them and they put together a sus sys over the phone that would work best for his application. You could try that... :dunno:

Tell them what you want, will be doing, putting on it (winch / bumper). I'm sure they will lead you in the right direction.