Notices
Offroad / 4x4 Because you're never too old to play in the mud.

Virginia lift laws?

Old 09-24-2011, 01:45 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
uhhryan has disabled reputation
Default Virginia lift laws?

I was just wondering how people get away with Cherokees that are lifted 3" inches here in Virginia. I just moved from Utah, and my Cherokee was lifted 6.5", but the lift laws here are super strict due to the bumper to ground measurement. How do you guys get away with these jacked Cherokees?
Old 09-24-2011, 01:59 PM
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn
Default Re: Virginia lift laws?

I had a f250 lifted 8 with 39boggers...never got messed with at all
Old 09-24-2011, 06:04 PM
HNIC

Joker. Joker. Joker. Joker. Joker. Joker. Joker. Joker. Joker. Joker. Joker.

PM smokerbear.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:16 PM
Vatican Assassin

MissmyE30 has disabled reputation

meh, just like window tint they roll the dice. some cops will stop it, most won't. my last truck was an 89 K5 Blazer with a 4 inch lift and 35 inch MTR's. never got stopped
Old 09-24-2011, 07:27 PM
Registered Member

I'm not so concerned about other vehicles, but it's the fact that the state classifies Cherokee's as a car and not a truck. So the bumper can only be like 28" from the ground, meaning you would be lucky to get away with 3" legally. But I saw a jacked XJ here in VB, and I'm curious how he even got passed on inspection.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:40 PM
Vatican Assassin

MissmyE30 has disabled reputation

yeah pretty much everything is a passenger vehicle, even actual pickups. it confuses the hell out of people. a lot of people will register their vehicle as an actual 'truck' with the DMV (pay more money to get a higher GVWR) i.e. it actually says 'truck' on their license plates which supposedly allows them a few extra inches of clearance.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:46 PM
Registered Member

Anyone else?
Old 09-25-2011, 02:00 PM
WHITE TRASH

SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR

Originally Posted by uhhryan
Anyone else?
46.2-1063. Alteration of suspension system; bumper height limits; raisingbody above frame rail.

No person shall drive on a public highway any motor vehicle registered as apassenger motor vehicle if it has been modified by alteration of its altitudefrom the ground to the extent that its bumpers, measured to any point on thelower edge of the main horizontal bumper bar, exclusive of any bumper guards,are not within the range of fourteen inches to twenty-two inches above theground. Notwithstanding the foregoing provisions of this section, the rangeof bumper heights for motor vehicles bearing street rod license plates issuedpursuant to 46.2-747 shall be nine to twenty-two inches.

No vehicle shall be modified to cause the vehicle body or chassis to come incontact with the ground, expose the fuel tank to damage from collision, orcause the wheels to come in contact with the body under normal operation. Nopart of the original suspension system of a motor vehicle shall bedisconnected to defeat the safe operation of its suspension system. However,nothing contained in this section shall prevent the installation of heavyduty equipment, including shock absorbers and overload springs. Nothingcontained in this section shall prohibit the driving on a public highway of amotor vehicle with normal wear to the suspension system if such normal weardoes not adversely affect the control of the vehicle.

No person shall drive on a public highway any motor vehicle registered as atruck if it has been modified by alteration of its altitude from the groundto the extent that its bumpers, measured to any point on the lower edge ofthe main horizontal bumper bar, exclusive of any bumper guards, do not fallwithin the limits specified herein for its gross vehicle weight ratingcategory. The front bumper height of trucks whose gross vehicle weightratings are 4,500 pounds or less shall be no less than 14 inches and no morethan 28 inches, and their rear bumper height shall be no less than 14 inchesand no more than 28 inches. The front bumper height of trucks whose grossvehicle weight ratings are 4,501 pounds to 7,500 pounds shall be no less than14 inches and no more than 29 inches, and their rear bumper height shall beno less than 14 inches and no more than 30 inches. The front bumper height oftrucks whose gross vehicle weight ratings are 7,501 pounds to 15,000 poundsshall be no less than 14 inches and no more than 30 inches, and their rearbumper height shall be no less than 14 inches and no more than 31 inches.Bumper height limitations contained in this section shall not apply to truckswith gross vehicle weight ratings in excess of 15,000 pounds. For the purposeof this section, "truck" includes pickup and panel trucks, and "grossvehicle weight ratings" means manufacturer's gross vehicle weight ratingsestablished for that vehicle as indicated by a number, plate, sticker, decal,or other device affixed to the vehicle by its manufacturer.

In the absence of bumpers, and in cases where bumper heights have beenlowered, height measurements under the foregoing provisions of this sectionshall be made to the bottom of the frame rail. However, if bumper heightshave been raised, height measurements under the foregoing provisions of thissection shall be made to the bottom of the main horizontal bumper bar.

No vehicle shall be operated on a public highway if it has been modified byany means so as to raise its body more than three inches, in addition to anymanufacturer's spacers and bushings, above the vehicle's frame rail ormanufacturer's attachment points on the frame rail.

This section shall not apply to specially designed or modified motor vehicleswhen driven off the public highways in races and similar events. Such motorvehicles may be lawfully towed on the highways of the Commonwealth.

(1973, c. 498, 46.1-282.1; 1978, c. 605; 1980, c. 342; 1986, c. 570; 1989,c. 727; 1991, c. 688; 1992, c. 864; 1993, c. 73.)
Old 09-25-2011, 02:01 PM
Registered Member

1daktchplz 1daktchplz 1daktchplz 1daktchplz 1daktchplz 1daktchplz 1daktchplz 1daktchplz 1daktchplz 1daktchplz 1daktchplz

Alot of things people do to their cars are considered illegal by this state... At the end of the day most people just do it anyways and don't really care. As far as inspection thats a easy one all you have to do is know somebody..lol
Old 09-25-2011, 02:05 PM
WHITE TRASH

SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR

Add to that, no lift blocks on the front axle and the tires can't extend past the fenders more than 3-5" ( I don't know the actual measurement off the top of my head) but if the tires do, they require marker lights.

Quick Reply: Virginia lift laws?