Notices
Offroad / 4x4 Because you're never too old to play in the mud.

TBI problems

Old 05-26-2009, 05:18 PM
Hannibal bitches

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
greencoug greencoug greencoug greencoug greencoug greencoug greencoug greencoug greencoug greencoug greencoug
Default TBI problems

Hey guys. I looked at Tech Talk, but all i saw was b-this and k-that and sr-whatever, so I figured this would be a much better place to post this.

I have a 94 Chevy K1500 with the TBI 350. I've noticed fuel getting into my crankcase somehow. There is absolutlely NO smoke and the only leak I found was a minor rear main seal leak. I replaced the plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor. I'm not sure where to go from here. Thnx in advance for the help!
Old 05-26-2009, 05:25 PM
Registered Member

reneponac will become famous soon enough
Default Re: TBI problems

I know it doesnt smoke but does it use oil at all? You could have worn rings. Or maybe some faulty emissions item.......I'm not sure if a bad PCV would do some thing like that for example. How many miles? Any check engine lights? How does it run?
Old 05-27-2009, 07:25 PM
Hannibal bitches

greencoug greencoug greencoug greencoug greencoug greencoug greencoug greencoug greencoug greencoug greencoug

I'm not really sure if it uses oil or not, but the main reason I'm sure fuel is getting into the crankcase is, besides the smell, the level goes up. I also replaced the PCV valve. It has 185k miles, no CEL's (its pre-OBD-II, it only has a service engine soon light, which means your fucked when it comes on), And as far as I can tell, it runs the same as it always has since I bought it. The only time I noticed a power loss is when It needed a tune-up, which I performed. Thanks!
Old 05-27-2009, 07:39 PM
corona connessuer

CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA

dont drive it too much with fuel in the oil. it could spin a bearing. you could possibly have a defective fuel pressure regulator.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:41 PM
Hannibal bitches

You're a fucking mind-reader! I was just thinking that at work today. THey can't be expensive so thats next on the chopping block. Thanks alot!
Old 05-29-2009, 07:57 AM
Registered Member

kenman86 has disabled reputation

spin a bearing because there is fuel in the oil.....wow are you serious....replace your cold start side injector...one side is cold and one is run....the cold start injector is staying open during normal run condition and loading up the "carb" which dumps it into the cylinder....its a cheap fix
Old 05-29-2009, 08:20 AM
Registered Member

93hatch has disabled reputation

kenman is dead on. seen it many times. good ol' tbi garbage.
Old 05-30-2009, 03:23 PM
World Famous VF-14

fullsize fun is a splendid one to beholdfullsize fun is a splendid one to beholdfullsize fun is a splendid one to beholdfullsize fun is a splendid one to beholdfullsize fun is a splendid one to beholdfullsize fun is a splendid one to beholdfullsize fun is a splendid one to behold

Ken is a dumbass there is no "cold start injector"on TBI's..lol The o rings around your injectors in the injector pods are prolly old and leaking and draining off pressure after you shut off the truck, take off the air cleaner, and while its running look for large drops of fuel and any signs of leakage, . then have someone shut it off and then watch for leakage.If its not leaking there , get back to me.Also , change the coolant temp sending unit on the from of the manifold , that will cause you to run rich. make sure they give you the one for the computer , not the on in the side of the head, that one is just for the gauge, TBI is really a good system, when people who don't know what they are doing monkey around with it, , worst part about it is the sorry ass heads, and that really can't be blamed on the TBI system

Last edited by fullsize fun; 05-30-2009 at 03:26 PM.
Old 05-31-2009, 04:02 PM
corona connessuer

CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA

Originally Posted by kenman86
spin a bearing because there is fuel in the oil.....wow are you serious....replace your cold start side injector...one side is cold and one is run....the cold start injector is staying open during normal run condition and loading up the "carb" which dumps it into the cylinder....its a cheap fix
and yes you can spin a bearing from too much fuel in the oil. it thins the oil and changes the viscosity. it also has a tendency to wash out the rings as well. dont believe me???? put some gas in your crankcase every now and then and see how long your motor lasts
Old 06-01-2009, 07:31 PM
Hannibal bitches

Originally Posted by CHAHONDA
and yes you can spin a bearing from too much fuel in the oil. it thins the oil and changes the viscosity. it also has a tendency to wash out the rings as well. dont believe me???? put some gas in your crankcase every now and then and see how long your motor lasts
The fact that someone posting on an automotive forum does not know this is extremely sad. I had to order the regulator. $75!!!! Anyway, I'll try this first because, like I stated before, there is NO smoke. Black due to rich running or blue due to burning oil. If that doesn't work, I'll take a look at the injectors themselves and the o-rings. Cold-start injector? LO-fucking L. Please don't post in this thread anymore.